Irritation with Supraphon - Suk and Martinu

Started by jameswesthead, Saturday 02 August 2014, 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

jameswesthead

>:(
I have two Supraphon LP's containing, respectively, Suk's Cantata 'Under the Apple Tree' (Otakar Trhlik,Ostrava Philharmonic, Czech Philharmonic Chorus, Supraphon 1121678, coupled with Janaceks Amarus) and Martinu's impressionistic Suites from the ballet 'Istar'.(Jiri Waldhans, Brno Philharmonic, Supraphon 1101634).

As far as I am aware, neither of these have ever been reissued on CD by Supraphon, despite the fact that they are the only recordings ever made. Supraphon did make a recording (under Libor Pesek) of an orchestral suite from 'Under the Apple Tree' (33C0-1372), but this only hints at the delights of the full cantata.

It must be about three years ago that I emailed Supraphon about their re-issue policy, but never got a  reply. I find it strange that having the only recordings of significant pieces by important composers, they do not consider re-issuing them.

Hurry up Naxos, show Supraphon how it's done!

mahesi

I also wrote some years ago to Supraphon about Suk's Under the apple tree and Josef Bohuslav Foerster's cantata May (on an LP together with Smetana Czech Song and Dvorák Heirs of the White Mountain; conductor Zdenek Kosler). But I got no answer too. It's a pity!