1900 book on American composers

Started by vicharris, Sunday 10 August 2014, 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic

vicharris

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23800/23800-h/23800-h.htm#CHAPTER_I

At this website is an interesting book published in 1900 with chapters on "Contemporary" composers, even includes Amy Beach and Margaret Ruthven Lang!
The home site Gutenberg.org is in itself a treasure for free access to works that are beyond copyright, free to US residents, not sure how other countries would be allowed access. Hope this works for all of you who are interested.

giles.enders

This is an interesting site but leaves out so many that I am interested in.  This is well worth exploring, I see there is mention of Blind Tom whose fascinating biog I read some while ago.  Amy Beach is possibly the best known American woman composer so I would expect her to be included.  There is a new CD of her piano concerto due out at the end of the year.

edurban

Quote from: giles.enders on Monday 11 August 2014, 10:29
...There is a new CD of her piano concerto due out at the end of the year.

Tantalizing...and so casually mentioned.  May we know the coupling?

David

PS. Wait, I see that the coupling is the already discussed music by Helen Hopekirk.

jerfilm

Having an eye problem, I don't do much reading except Kindle type things.  So I downloaded this book and started reading last evening.  Interresting book.  Appears at the beginning that the author thought Edward MacDowell was the best of the "contemporary" American composers.  What I find most amusing is the number of 25 cent (10 euros?) words he uses.  Words no longer in ANY dictionary.   Such as "heathenishness"  or "recrusdescence" or "morbidezza" - I expect there will be more......

J

eschiss1

recrudescence ? "a new outbreak after a period of abatement or inactivity" ? He mispelled it, but it's in most large enough dictionaries- do a Google search and it turns up first thing (and it's still in (literary (English :) )) use, besides, as is) "morbidezza" from Wiktionary is "softness, smoothness", from the same word in Italian.  Heathenishness might well be an invention of his own though the meaning is fairly clear. Any others?

Or what is your definition of "any" (dictionary)?

JollyRoger

Look similar to a post I made at another music site..thanks for passing it on..