Henry Hadley from Dutton

Started by edurban, Tuesday 12 August 2014, 01:26

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

Apologies if this has been reported...(my use of the search function does not seem to be up to the international standard.)  Dutton has recorded a disc of orchestral music by Henry K. Hadley with the California-born, British-based conductor Rebecca Miller leading the BBC Concert Orchestra.  Apparently I missed this when it was posted on Facebook in January, (Hadley and I not being Facebook friends,) but there you have it.

Some exciting Hadley news: there is a new Hadley cd being recorded next month. It will include Salome, Scherzo Diabolique, In Bohemia, the San Francisco Suite and Othello.
Conductor: Rebecca Miller
Orchestra: BBC Concert Orchestra

I've never thought much of Salome, which just encourages unfavorable comparisons with you-know-what, but nice that Hadley is getting an outing.

David

minacciosa

Comparisons are unnecessary; Hadley's Salome is a very different work from Strauss' opera. It's like comparing Faure and Schoenberg, Rossini and Verdi,  Hindemith, Walker and Sessions, Brahms, Rachmaninov, Lutoslawski and Blacher, and, well, you get the idea. That's just not the right way to think about these things.

semloh

Comparisons are unnecessary .... That's just not the right way to think about these things.

minacciosa - it's unlike you to be telling people the right or wrong way to think.  In any case, I don't believe David was recommending such comparisons, although personally I don't find them a problem..

In my view, any Henry Hadley is a welcome addition to the catalogue, and I am surprised that these works haven't already been recorded by Albany. How interesting that the conductor is Rebecca Miller... a new name to me ... a quick web search is required!

minacciosa

My apologies if my comments read as mean or aggressive. I still hope that my point was clear. It should be if one is acquainted with the eponymously named works of the composers I mentioned. To compare a thirty minute tone poem with a huge ninety minute opera based upon a shared source seems to me to be a good way to misjudge both works.

eschiss1

Or in the opera to symphonic poem direction , there's Gilse's opera "Thijl" (and, again, Strauss' tonepoem); or Ernest Bloch's or Verdi's operatic treatments of Macbeth (and, again, Strauss' tonepoem) - for starters. :) .. and yes, inclined to agree. (Except perhaps in cases where one work actually started as a jumping-off point for the other, but generally that happens when the composer is the same- and while I know it's all done with mirrors and cie., there's only so far I'm willing to go with that one.)

museslave

John, it reminds me of a review of Korngold's "Lieder des Abshieds", where the reviewer suggested that after Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" there was nothing more to be said on the subject of "Farewell".  But of course any of the great subjects, including works of literature, contain enough of value to support many interpretations.  I love Strauss's opera, which was a groundbreaking tour de force.   But Hadley's work simply bring different images to mind, which are also very evocative, but in a different spirit.  I admit that when I first hear Hadley's song "The Time of Parting", I didn't like it because I new Zemlinsky's devastating setting of the same poem.  Hadley's was much gentler and less heart wrenching.  But now I love both.  They simply exist in a different emotional space.

I'm eager to hear new news of this CD's release.  Haven't seen an update recently.

edurban

On the conductor's website, the Hadley disc is currently described as an April, 2015 release.  Not sure how up-to-date that info is...

David

Alan Howe