News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rozycki - RPC series

Started by Rob H, Monday 18 August 2014, 16:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

I have just read on facebook that Jonathan Plowright is recording both Rozycki Piano Concertos and the Ballade in Glasgow soon. I feel obliged to say "Yeeaaahhh!", Rob

Sorry I posted this in the wrong place originally

thalbergmad

Brilliant news as fresh recordings are way overdue.

The neglect of especially the 1st PC is one of the great musical mysteries. Would have made a good partner to the Borowski, but I guess there is no room left on the disk.

Thal

eschiss1

I agree that the pairing would most likely be Felix-itous...

Rob H

Has the second concerto been recorded before? I'm not aware of a recording but I'm not familiar with early Polish 78s and LPs.

thalbergmad

There is a recording on youtube, but no performance details are given.

Thal

pianoconcerto

The youtube performance of Rozycki pc2 is from Polish Radio (recorded 1952) featuring pianist Józef Smidowicz and the Polish Radio O, Bydgoszcz, conducted by Arnold Rezler.  The second movement was released on a Muza LP.  This is the only recording I am aware of so I, too, eagerly await the Hyperion CD.

semloh

Thal, I'm not sure about new recordings being 'way overdue' as the Acte Prealable disc of the Piano Concerto No.1 and the Ballade Op.18 was issued only in 2011. You may be right, of course, as they could be old recordings but I didn't think so (?) I gather that the main complaint was actually about its duration - one concerto less (I assume) than the planned Plowright disc.  :o

Some years ago I was fortunate enough to walk into a CD shop just as they were disposing of their Olympia discs for a couple of dollars each, and my haul included Różycki's orchestral works. Since then I have grabbed as much as I could. The 2nd Piano Concerto will be a long-awaited and very welcome addition.

thalbergmad

Without looking it up, I think the AP recording of the Rozycki 1st PC was from the 1980's.

Thal

Revilod

It was made in 1984 and, though the performances are good, the recording is not all it could be. Also, the disc only runs for 42 mins so a new recording including both concertos would be welcome.

semloh

Ah, right! Then a new recording is certainly overdue.  :)

Alan Howe

semloh

Yet another for the 'wants' list...  :)

Richard Moss

Why are 'wants' lists like 'to do ' lists - the more you can cross off, the longer the list gets! 

Richard

giles.enders

In reply to Semloh, the new Rozycki recording featuring his three works for piano and orchestra with Jonathan Plowright as pianist and Lucasz Borowicz conducting, is 63 minutes long.

Alan Howe

Hadrianus reports:

Just bought it - what wonderful music :-)

(post moved here from identical thread)