News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ranjbaran: Persian Trilogy

Started by ewk, Thursday 04 September 2014, 15:08

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

Hi all,

I came across a work by the Iranian Composer Ranjbaran (*1955): The Persian Trilogy.

1. Seemorgh (1991)
2. The Blood of Seyavash (1994)
3. Seven Passages (2000)

Despite composed in modern times, it is said to be composed in a Neo-Romantic style (though inside the remit, as I think), comparable to Rimski-Korsakow, Holbrooke and many others.

Does anyone know the work and what do you think about it?
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2006/May06/Ranjbaran_PersianTrilogy_DE3336.htm

ewk

mbhaub

Know it, love it, wish I could hear a live performance. But it's also way, way outside the mission of UC. The orchestration may have been influenced by Rimsky, but goes far beyond it - in fact, it sounds more like film music of many modern blockbuster movies. Think Bernard Herrmann at his most inventive in films like Mysterious Island, Jason and the Argonauts. Or score for the Harry Potter films, and many others. It's hugely enjoyable, though. Dissonance it has, but not without reason and not constantly. It can be very loud and very violent. The composer's use of "tinkly" instruments, harp, celeste, xylophone, etc, reminds me of Korngold at times. But listen for example at 9:00 in the first part, and you'll know immediately this is no Neo-romantic we're listening too, but a contemporary composer bringing everything he has to the music. It sounds nothing like Balakirev, Rimsky-Korsakov or the others.

The first part, Seven Passages, would make a great stand-alone symphonic poem, although the large orchestra used would make it out of reach for many orchestras. The entire suite is long, almost 80 minutes, but interest never flags because of the composer's inventiveness and constantly shifting orchestral palette.

This would make a terrific showpiece for the multitude of summer festivals that seem stuck doing Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, and other Oversung Composers! The BBC Proms did one of his works this summer, although I don't know if it was from the Persian Trilogy.

Amphissa