Ricardo Castro, new release, very soon!

Started by Aramiarz, Tuesday 16 September 2014, 01:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

Thank you for share your comments with me! I think that is a great work that must be widely diffunded and appreciated. Lawrence of Arabia, music by Jarré, moreless 1962 has the same musical theme in the initial part!

Alan Howe

I'd say on first hearing that the Cello Concerto is the better piece: it has all the attractiveness of the PC, but is a more subtle and substantial composition. It apparently dates from 1895 - later than the PC - so it would seem that the composer had developed a more personal voice in the intervening period. It's a truly lovely work.

Once again, Hyperion have missed out on including a major work in their Romantic Cello Concerto series: I can't help feeling that all the time and expertise expended on Fitzenhagen would have been far better directed towards Castro (good though their recent Fitzenhagen disc is).

lasm2000

Actually, a Castro/Ponce 1 is one of the most obvious pairings missing in the RPC series. For some reason they have decided to overlook some of the "obvious" choices like Rubinstein (except the PC4), Raff or Ponce.

Maybe there is some copyright issue involved but I find more likely someone there just don't find them attractive enough for release which is a shame, since they are way better than some of what they have actually released. The other possibility is that they haven't found anyone who knows/want to learn such repertory. At least in the case of Ponce/Castro I find that hard to believe since the Ponce is a must for mexican pianists and Castro has been featured in several big concert halls in the country recently.

Gareth Vaughan

The Ponce was scheduled for the RPC some years ago. It was to have been coupled with the Tavares Concerto in Brazilian Forms. I have explained the debacle which prevented this recording from being brought to fruition elsewhere on this forum. The Tavares family do not emerge from it in a very good light.

lasm2000

Oh, I wasn't aware that the Ponce PC  was part of the Tavares concerti debacle. Who was the pianist/orchestra?

Yet, the Ponce/Castro is now an obvious coupling and there is a very very obvious pianist for the project, too: Abdiel Vázquez. The Ponce PC is a staple of all mexican orchestras and the Castro PC was a bit of a "hot piece" for the last 18 months in the mexican concert halls so it shouldn't be difficult to find a conductor for it (Iván López Reynoso is again a rather obvious choice since he has toured with the Castro and some Ponce pieces). I could even mention an obvious orchestra for the project: The Orquesta Filarmonica de Jalisco played both concerti in the past 12 months and did so superbly, unfortunately it has had some serious turmoil since this summer.

Anyway, this Sterling release with Ritter will keep me busy for a while when it comes to mexican concertant pieces.

Gareth Vaughan

The Ponce PC was available in a creditable performance on the ASV label and although this CD seems to have disappeared it is still commercially available as a digital download. There would seem little point in Hyperion's recording the Castro immediately after this release by Sterling. However, I agree that the coupling might be one they could consider for a release some way down the line - probably some long way.

Wheesht

Presto Classical have the Ponce PC on ASV both as a digital download and another ASV release with the same recording of the PC (plus the Gavotta, Poema Elegíaco, Balada Mexicana, Danse des Anciens Mexicains, and Chapultepec (Tres Bocetos Sinfónicos - 1929 rev.1934) as a CD and as a download.

Aramiarz

Dear friend. Thank you for his comments ;D
One question Lasm2000, What is your opinion about the pianist Mr Ritter and Abdiel for Castro PC? Who is your favorite?

Aramiarz

Dear Alan. I share your opinion about the cello concert, It's very interesting work, deserve more performances in the world. About Oithona What is your opinion? Castro only had 21 years old

Alan Howe

I haven't yet listened to the symphonic poem, but watch this space...

lasm2000

@Aramiarz: Hard to tell. In general Abdiel is more of "poet"; I believe his main job is as a vocal coach at Manhattan School of Music and it notes, he can really make the piano sing. On the other hand, Rodolfo is more of a virtuoso. It gives a radically different experience for this concerto. Which is why I insist on a Ponce/Castro pairing that gives us a different angle from the one that we already have from the Sterling releases. By the way, are there are any plans for Castro's symphony?

@Gareth Vaughan: The ASV recording you mention includes the violin concerto played by Szeryng and the guitar concerto with Alfonso Moreno? If so, then the pianist is Jorge Federico Osorio, one of the greatest "unsung" pianists around. Well, unsung is a relative term since he is a legend in Mexico and actually has been recorded several times, yet he is little known outside Mexico and the Chicago area where he resides. Word of voice is that he made his fame when he was hand picked by Prokofiev's widow for a memorial recital. In any case, check his discography at: http://jorgefedericoosorio.com/discography/. Most of it is very sung repertory but in a few cases it features music that is little known outside Mexico, you might find something of interest.

Aramiarz

Dear Lasm2000
   Thank you for comments. Yes! The Symphony is in the target!

FBerwald

I first encountered Jorge Osorio when I heard a radio broadcast of a Saint-saens piece and was naturally spelbound. This pianist is certainly unsung.