News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Concertos for 2015

Started by Rob H, Monday 01 December 2014, 18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

With the (quiet) announcement that Emmanuel Moor's Cm Piano concerto is to be released I would like to start a little wish-list for 2015 concertos if that's OK.

The Moor Piano concertos have been on my list for a while - big-boned virtuosic concertos from the late 19th and early 20th century. I see he wrote 2 Concertstucke, a rhapsodie and a suite, all for piano and orchestra in addition to his 4 concerti.
Abram Chasins - I believe he wrote 2 piano concertos. If they have anything of the marvellous writing of his preludes or transcriptions they will be winners.
Henri Ravina - potentially just facile note-spinners but there is plenty of variety in his etudes so could be worth an outing.
Louis Brassin - I want to hear what the writer of the Wagner transcriptions sounds like without the famous name preceding his. The Wagner/Brassin Magic Fire music is inspired but then so are the Pabst transcriptions and his Concerto is empty bombast (the Pabst I was so looking forward to hearing and was massively disappointed).
There are other names I want to hear but I'll leave it at that for the moment.

I'm curious to hear what's on others wish lists,

Rob

Gareth Vaughan

Well, I would love to hear the remaining Herz PCs (2 & the choral 6) - meretricious note-spinning they may be, but they are huge fun. I love 'em.

We need a good modern recording of the Bronsart PC (come on, Hyperion!).

Other unrecorded PCs that look interesting from the scores I have perused are the Concerto Symphonique by Jakob Julius Major, the Concerto Eroica by Ottokar Novacek and those by Borowski, Boise and, nearer home, Gaze Cooper and Roger Sacheverell Coke (the last two probably not appropriate to this forum - apologies).

There are numerous VCs that crave attention, but those by Gernsheim would come near the top of my list, together with the Eroica Concerto Symphonique by Litolff and the Viola Concerto by Hans Sitt. All solid, melodious, well crafted Romantic music.

Alan Howe

The Draeseke VC (in the newly published orchestration) would be top of my list. Absolutely top-notch, lyrical, memorable music by one of the unsung greats.
I agree with Gareth: we need the VCs by Gernsheim too, especially No.1. Yet another memorable piece, this time in the more conservative tradition.

thalbergmad

I pretty much echo what has already been written above. The Boise is a Moszkowskian romp and the Borowski is a lyrical masterpiece. Their neglect thus far is a mystery to me especially given that the performance materials and not that difficult to come by.

My sight reading is pretty grotty, but the 1st & 3rd Brassin concerti (the 2nd appears to be lost), to my ears are more reserved than his transcriptions and like the Pabst, could well not live up to expectations.

The Bobinski 2nd exposed huge defects in my technique (as do most), but it seems such fun and I gave up on page 2 of the Brugnoli because of the jumps.

Apart from that, I wish for everything apart from the 2 x Street, but I assume it would take a lot of money to bribe someone to risk their career with those.

Concertinly.

Thal

PS. Will someone please record the Malats.

eschiss1

Worldcat is... oh, ok, Worldcat is back up. I was going to suggest the Abbiate cello concerto, but I see that there was an LP of the work- which is, in fact, probably what I've heard.
I agree from the other thread that a commercial recording of Jaëll's two piano concertos would be a Good Thing :)
(And perhaps, of works that have been broadcast but not, I think, commercially made available, Conradin Kreutzer's piano concertos, and Samuel de Lange Jr.'s viola concerto are worth further distribution. I'd like to hear the latter's other concertos too...)
also Théo Ysaÿe's piano concerto...

Gareth Vaughan

alberto

in my wish-list I wouls put:
-the very fine Leone Sinigaglia (1862-1944) Violin Concerto.
We can now hear the download of a very old radio broadcast and see and listen on YT a recent complete performance,
but obviously a "true" recording could/should be better.
-The Piano Concerto by Alfonso Rendano (1868-1944). I have an "Aura " label (short lived) of his Piano Quintet and some short piano pieces and I found them impressive (the idiom is abdsolutely romantic).
Rendano was celebrated mpstly as a pianist, got in Italy a success with his opera "Consuelo" and rarely faced large forms.