Widor Symphony 1 & VC etc. from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 16 December 2014, 16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Hugely welcome. I had always considered Widor something of a one-work wonder until the recordings of his piano concertos and the Second Symphony and Cello Concerto appeared. What delights they revealed. I can't wait for this latest offering.

izdawiz

oh man!! great news indeed! I'll receive it!  ;D

Wheesht

Both new Duttons, the Widor and the Loeffler, will go to my next-to-buy list right away! Great news indeed. I love Widor's Cello Concerto.

jdperdrix

Revilod

Yes, I was very impressed with the 'Cello Concerto/2nd Symphony disc...especially the symphony. I hadn't realised Widor had written a Violin Concerto. Wikipedia doesn't mention it and it seems as though it doesn't have an opus number. Can't wait to hear it!

Aramiarz

Wonderful new. Dutton are working very good! Widor isn't only one great composer for organ. He wrote some a lot of pieces for piano, orchestral works, operas, ballets, etc!! I hope soon get it!

eschiss1

The Widor violin concerto was published, if at all, only in reduction (I think not published in reduction, either, just manuscript through and through); the full score, I think, is in manuscript at the French National Library. It's from around 1894. French national library notes to which acc. to Worldcat:

"Auteur identifié d'après l'écriture.
Oeuvre identifiée d'après la réduction.
Daté à la fin : 20 sept. 94.
On a joint 4 p. de corrections autogr. biffées".

That is, I think, the full score doesn't identify the composer or the work, which information had to be deduced from the penmanship and the work itself from the reduction ms. - the latter of which has an alternate version of the finale, by the way, according to its "notes"...

violinconcerto

I think we are talking about two violin concertos, right? The one on the Dutton CD is the first violin concerto from 1877 and there is the manuscript of the second violin concerto at teh French National Library which dates from 1894.

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

FBerwald

WHAT? 2 Violin concertos by Widor? Are you sure......?

jdperdrix

The first (?) violin concerto was published in 1877 as Op. 26.

There's also at the Bibliothèque nationale de France an autograph manuscript of a violin concerto, dated 20 Sept 1894, containing 4 pages of (crossed) corrections and "identified from its reduction". Is it a second violin concerto, or a late revision of Op. 26? A facsimile of this autograph can be ordered for 45 euros (http://catalogue.bnf.fr/servlet/RechercheEquation;jsessionid=860E9A8C3C8D74AB1179E16BC1D01D04?TexteCollection=HGARSTUVWXYZ1DIECBMJNQLOKP&TexteTypeDoc=DESNFPIBTMCJOV&Equation=IDP%3Dcb43337426h&host=catalogue.

Dutton's record mentions only the year 1877 for the violin concerto.

Alan Howe

What key is the VC on the new Dutton CD in? Toskey only mentions one VC - in E minor (no date supplied).

jdperdrix

To make the story more complicated, a research of "widor violin" with google leads to an album "Aaron Rosand in Norway" supposedly containing Widor's concerto op. 26. http://www.juneclassic.net/EN/album/albumdetail.jsp?albumno=gt7nc9nc
Another search, on prestoclassical mentions Klaus Egge's violin concerto op. 26 instead.
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/160956/Klaus-Egge-Violin-Concerto-Op-26

Alan Howe

This is a red herring, I'm afraid. The Op.26 piece on the Rosand set is definitely by Egge, not Widor! (I have the CDs!)