News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rufinatscha Symphony No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 25 December 2014, 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I've been re-acquainting myself with Rufinatscha 2 this evening while the rest of the family are enjoying the usual seasonal misery of a certain well-known British TV soap. Anyway, this is surely the composer's most unbuttoned symphony, without much of the high seriousness that kicks in with the two subsequent symphonies (3 and 4) written in 1846. No.2, after all, comes from six years previously, yet it shares many of the same characteristics of those later works, e.g. its leisurely pacing and a particularly fetching rustic Menuetto. In addition, without showing himself to be a melodist of the top rank, he always manages to compose earworm-type themes - and Symphony No.2 is no exception. The finale will have you tapping your feet throughout - and long afterwards. Once again, the sensibility strikes me as being quintessentially Austrian.

Do investigate it. After all, it's currently available at half price:
http://shop.tiroler-landesmuseen.at/cd-dvd/klingende-kostbarkeiten-aus-tirol/klingende-kostbarkeiten-aus-tirol-48.html

Aramiarz

Dear Alan
Thank you for the comments! All cd's are in half price or minus!

Alan Howe

The more I listen to this music, the more it becomes obvious that Rufinatscha's music is like no-one else's. I'd rank this 1840 symphony as a work of genius - and a real treat for the soul. Some glorious writing for horns in the finale, by the way.

Aramiarz

Very interesting your words, I wish soon listen this music!

DennisS

Have now listened to Rufinatscha's second symphony several times and enjoyed the listening experience. I was really looking forward to listening to this symphony, especially after having been blown away by symphony number 3! I was also eagerly expecting the finale to get my feet tapping! I was though a little disappointed as far as the finale was concerned. The finale is fun, has a strong rhythmic drive and is over all too quickly which is always a sure sign that the music is both enjoyable and engaging. Yet somehow, I expected a little more from the finale. Overall, I am very pleased to now have all 5 Rufinatscha's symphonies in my possession and am particularly pleased that this composer is being singled out so much recently on UC. He fully deserves to have his music become far better known. Coming back to symphony no 2, clearly symphonies 1 and 2 are relatively "lightweight" when compared to symphonies 3, 4 and 5 in the sense that they do not possess the drama, stature, gravitas of the later symphonies. On the other hand, it's refreshing to listen to symphony 2 (and also number 1) and not be overwhelmed by the "seriousness" that the later symphonies impart to the listener. By that, I am not saying that symphonies 1 and 2 are lesser works, just that they are different and offer the listener a different listening experience. In symphony number 2, I hear echoes of Schumann and Mendelssohn of course but in the opening movement I was reminded a little of Schubert's Great Symphony. Perhaps that's just me! Alan, an observation/question for you. I was a little surprised/disappointed with the German liner notes on this symphony. Manfred Schneider talks about the reception given to this symphony, a very full house, much well-earned applause etc. but only mentions descriptions of movements 2 and 3 i.e.  movement 2 - idyllic and heartfelt by the audience and movement 3 - recalling a courtly, aristocratic minuet with a slightly ironic sounding trio. No mention is made of either the opening or closing movements. Have I missed something? You are UC's expert on Rufinatscha and, because of your views on this symphony, I was expecting Schneider to go into a little more detail on all 4 of the symphony's movements, especially that finale! Any views? A final comment. I enjoy listenening to Symphony no 2 but now having listened again to all of Rufinatscha's symphonies in the last 2 weeks, my favourite is number 3 but it bothers me just a little bit that Symphony no 3 might more correctly be labelled "by Rufinatscha/Huber", even if Huber has been totally faithful to Rufinatscha's intentions? Perhaps this last comment should be inserted in the thread on Rufinatscha's Symphony no 3! Sorry!

Alan Howe

I think there is a wider problem with all the liner notes, Dennis - and that is that there is very little description/analysis of the music in any of them. This may simply be that we don't have the right people writing the notes in the first place. What we probably need now is Michael Huber to do a re-write - he is, after all, almost certainly the most insightful expert on the music itself (as opposed to musicologists who may major on historical accounts/facts or the recent events surrounding the discovery and performance of Rufinatscha's symphonies, all of which is fascinating in itself but tells us relatively little of substance about the music). In this connection, Chandos made a much better job with their notes accompanying Noseda's superlative recording of No.5 (6). 

As for the labelling of Rufinatscha 3, that's not really a matter for me, although I'd say that the description "Ergänzung Michael F.P. Huber" ("completed by Michael F.P. Huber") included on the CD is probably sufficient.