Fitzenhagen (1848 - 1890) Cello Concertos

Started by obermann, Thursday 22 January 2015, 00:47

Previous topic - Next topic

obermann

I just caught up with Alban Gerhardt's blog and it seems he has recorded both Fitzenhagen concertos in Berlin for Hyperion. The  fillers are the same composers Ballad and I believe the Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations.

Alan Howe

He'll do a fine job, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing this.

eschiss1

Interesting.
Another composer I think I'd only heard of before because of my wanderings about IMSLP and maybe here too. This could be interesting.
(Though I wish they'd coupled it with one or two of Nölck's concertos instead... HUSH, Eric.)

FBerwald

both concertos? Didn't Fitzenhagen write 4 cello concertos?

Richard Moss

IMSLP lists 4 concertos, Nos. 1 & 2 with Opp numbers and Nos. 3 & 4 without (no dates given).  It also gives No. 4 as Op 63!, plus a couple of further works.

However, WKI gives concerto No. 3 the Op. number of 63, his last listed work by them (and, as Op. 62, a suite for cello, piano & orchestra as does IMSLP). 

Concerto No. 2 is already available on the OEHMS label (with sundry other pieces).  Can't recall it in detail but if (!) memory serves me, I seem to remember it as quite melodic and pleasant on the ear.  A quick check back on a related thread shows Gareth was also quite please with this work.  Hopefully No. 1 might be even more of the same - looking forward to this album so thanks for the notice.

Nothing else seems top have been recorded, so there is maybe enough material here (if scores are available) for     a further CD (Hyperion or ANO), apart from this forthcoming one by Hyperion.

Cheers

Richard

Christopher

There's a CD called "Tchaikovsky for Cello by Jens Peter Maintz" with a couple of pieces for cello and orchestra on it by Fitzenhagen.  I can't remember the names of the pieces off-hand - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Cello-Peter-Maintz-Music/dp/B00PBMHU4G/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1422268310&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=peter+maintz+cello

Christopher

Did anyone hear anything further about these new Fitzenhagen recordings?

UnsungMasterpieces

They will be released on the 25th of September, 2015.