Chaminade Piano Sonata etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 23 January 2015, 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

Ok so I love Chaminade's music....but I already have three recordings of the sonata, three of the Etude Symphonique, three of Automne and two of most of the rest.

But of course they put in Etude Humoristique (which I have no idea where it's been previously recorded) and Souvenirs d'Enfance. This after less than a year since the last one with the piano sonata and the etudes (of which this seems to be the first with all six....but it's not grouped as such because the last one is the same as the final movement of the sonata)....

It's GREAT to see a favorite composer get more recordings but some variety would be nice. There's probably 60-70 piano pieces that haven't been recorded...

Martin Eastick

Here is a rather belated "thumbs up" for this recording, which I have just got around to hearing for the first time after having initially resisted temptation to acquire at the time of its release - firstly as the pieces are all duplications with the exception of the brief "Souvenir d'Enfance", which is a premiere recording of a late unpublished miniature, and secondly in view of the fact that this recital features a 1901 Steinway. However, I need not have worried on both counts as, IMHO, this performance of the sonata and studies is surely the most persuasive released to date! Furthermore the recording is first rate and showcase Chaminade's abilities in a more serious mode to excellent effect.

I would thoroughly recommend this recording to anyone who, like me, really goes for this repertoire but may be a little cautious of unnecessary over-duplication - certainly worth the money!