Jadassohn Symphonies 1-4 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 23 January 2015, 22:52

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I recall a review in Fanfare ages ago criticizing Griffiths (on a Novalis CD? (maybe that with one of Gaspard Fritz' symphonies?)) for something similar.  As to performance traditions and speeds of Adagios, I'm reminded of something Walker claims in the 2nd volume of his Liszt biography, maybe best summarized (or - maybe not...) - as this having been a matter of debate, not consensus. Least charitably though it seems to be a particularly late 20th/21st century of performing Romantic music (and much earlier music, flattening out the difference between andantino, andante, adagio, adagietto, into one uniform Slowish, to paraphrase one probably understandably discontented reviewer.)

Alan Howe

It's actually fascinating to compare Jürgen Bruns' performance of Jadassohn 4 with Howard Griffiths'. Bruns is much more flexible in his approach (not to say slower), whereas Griffiths is much straighter and more rhythmic. Thus Griffiths is absolutely terrific in the stormier passages of the first movement, whereas Bruns makes far more of the yearning phrases of the opening (which with Griffiths go for almost nothing, being too 'clipped'). Griffiths also handles the coda more excitingly, whereas with Bruns (and Yinon) there is a feeling of 'drift'.

Clearly, we haven't had an absolutely top-flight performance yet. We need another recording...

JimL

There seems to be a slow introduction to the first movement of the 4th Symphony (that also returns at the end of the movement).  Is this indicated in the liner notes?  Is it an 'in tempo' introduction that achieves its apparent slower tempo through extended note values?

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 04 March 2015, 09:30
It's actually fascinating to compare Jürgen Bruns' performance of Jadassohn 4 with Howard Griffiths'. Bruns is much more flexible in his approach (not to say slower), whereas Griffiths is much straighter and more rhythmic. Thus Griffiths is absolutely terrific in the stormier passages of the first movement, whereas Bruns makes far more of the yearning phrases of the opening (which with Griffiths go for almost nothing, being too 'clipped'). Griffiths also handles the coda more excitingly, whereas with Bruns (and Yinon) there is a feeling of 'drift'.

Clearly, we haven't had an absolutely top-flight performance yet. We need another recording...

Does that mean wait?
Tom

Alan Howe

No! Buy! And if another recording comes out, buy that too!

eschiss1

Re JimL: good question... Best answered, I think, if someone in London who --- like us --- has interest would stop by St Pancras library (I think?) and ask if they could take a look at their copy of the 4th symphony score and mark down as much extra info about it as they can :) (unless even that, not just asking for a digital copy, costs a fair amount of extra money...)
I notice a mention here of the absence of sound samples at the cpo site. They're up now (yay!)

matesic

Are you sure about that, Eric? The only score I can find listed on Worldcat is in the Newberry Library, Chicago, so maybe next time you're in the area...? Also the St Pancras library is actually the British Library and "stopping by" isn't so simple.

Gareth Vaughan

It's OK. The Jadassohn 4th is in the BL and I am a reader there, so next time I'm in London, which may not be for a few weeks, I'll try to drop in.

adriano

@Alan & JimL
Just listened to the Jadassohn cpo set, which is quite good. At last we have these works on CD. In my opinion, though, most of it could be played a bit lighter and Mendelssohn-like. Suppose Griffiths takes a bit a too fast tempo in the Fourth's third movement in order to stay within the time limit of a CD :-). But it is a respectful Adagio within the correct Metronome range. Of this Adagio affettuoso, one could make, for example a kind of semi-sad funeral march :-) Griffith just conducts as visualized in the booklet's photograph of him.
Liner notes do mention the 4th slow introduction, but not the track titles, which they would deserve.

eschiss1

Matesic- apologies several ways for my ignorance, which you have rightly parodied/sent up.  I'll just hang a left at the corner + 1084-odd kilometers + around the block over to Newberry Library tomorrow ;^)

JimL

If you would be so kind, Gareth, that would be rightly much appreciated!

Gareth Vaughan

Not sure how soon that will be, Jim, but I'll do my best.

sdtom

just received my copy of the symphonies.
Tom :)

JimL

Did you go to London, Gareth?  And if so, did you remember to look up the Jadassohn 4th?

Gareth Vaughan