Jadassohn Symphonies 1-4 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 23 January 2015, 22:52

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Really? Given the background they could contribute to some of your reviews of music by him and his pupils (and of composers who were brought up learning music around the same time), I'd think that they could be very useful, historically. Unless that's precisely what you're saying, that you know all of this already, to a T, and tried some of Jadassohn's exercises and solved them rapidly...

jerfilm

Tom, if you have an ipad or other tablet, you can download the Nook app free.  Same is true of the Kindle software.  If that helps.....

Jerry

sdtom

I don't. I'm looking into getting the Kindle replaced.
Tom :)

eschiss1

BTW the score and parts of symphony no.2 (the one I've been familiar with the longest, wrote a brief thing about for netnews years ago) are now available @ IMSLP - thanks, Cypressdome (and the NYPO Digital Archives.)

FBerwald

Just listened to Symphony No. 1.... I find a fascinating shadow of Berwald's  Symphony No. 2 - Capricieuse's 1st movement in the 1st movement of this Symphony in many places - The quirky harmonic shifts and deft orchestration. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable romp!

TerraEpon

Finally got this set and I have to say, it's fantastic all around. It's a sign of a good composer when I can hum along to something I've never heard before.
Big thumbs up from me.

Alan Howe

QuoteIt's a sign of a good composer when I can hum along to something I've never heard before

That's a good summary of Jadassohn's prime virtue as a composer.

MartinH

For me, that's part of Jadassohn's problem - it's too congenial. I miss the drama, mystery, the storm and stress that truly top-notch composers bring to the concert hall. Jadassohn is just too nice. They're pleasant enough, but no masterworks. And yet, wouldn't these symphonies make wonderful additions to the repertoire of community/amateur orchestras? I was especially taken with the 4th, which alas is not on IMSLP.

Alan Howe

Quoteit's too congenial

Yes, I understand that too. I think No.4 might be a bit of an exception - but it needs a rather weightier approach than Griffiths offers to bring out the potential scale and reach of the piece.

Alan Howe

Now reviewed by Dave Hurwitz, no less:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVvkP5oYLII

...and he gets them just about right.