Started by Claude Torres, Sunday 15 February 2015, 09:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude Torres

CD to be released soon

Alexander Zemlinsky (1871–1942)
Ondine ODE12375 (SACD)
Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
John Storgards

1.-3. Die Seejungfrau (The Mermaid, Symphonic fantasy after H.C. Andersen)
World premiere recording of the new critical version (2013)

4.-6. Sinfonietta, Op. 23
World premiere recording of version for Chamber Orchestra (2013) by Roland Freisitzer (b. 1973)

Claude Torres

Alan Howe

Does anyone know whether this new critical edition of Die Seejungfrau is different in any significant way from the edition used up until now? I can think of some new critical editions which consist of a few changed dynamics here and there and not much else...

Alan Howe

To answer my own question, this is what appears on the website of the publisher, Universal Edition:

Zemlinsky structured the score of The Mermaid in three parts. In the new critical edition, scheduled for publication in 2013, two versions of Part II appear side by side: the original version (with the rediscovered episode of the Mer-witch) builds to a wild climax, bordering on hysteria, and disrupts the formal balance of the work. The revised version, on the other hand, passes elegantly over the agony and ecstasy of Andersen's fairy tale, as if to say, "The rest is silence".
http://www.universaledition.com/Alexander-Zemlinsky/composers-and-works/composer/796/work/14022

Apologies for my initial cynicism!

eschiss1

"2 versions appear side by side"?
I hope that's not how they plan to perform it.

Alan Howe

Sounds rather Ivesian, doesn't it?  ;)

mbhaub

I'll no doubt buy this out of curiosity and my love of Austrian composer of this era...BUT: what's with this current craze of arrangements for smaller forces? Now the Sinfonietta. Lately it's been Mahler 2, 4, Das Lied, and the 9th for chamber groups (although the 9th on ARS really works quite well). Isn't there any unrecorded Zemlinsky to do that now we need chamber arrangements of his music?

eschiss1

Current craze, current craze... well, current craze to perform and record them, I agree... but... erm... erm.
Those Mahler arrangements are mostly from a century ago. They were generally even made before the heuristic 1915 "cutoff date" set by this group (though generally- the Mahler 7/Casella arr. perhaps an exception, perhaps not- by some of those people- Schoenberg, associates- whose names, I know, are said either in loud negative shouts or very quiet positive whispers, hereabouts. Though Schoenberg and Casella of course had in common that they both knew, and were inspired by, Gustav Mahler...)

Zemlinsky wrote several early-1890s works (string quintet, etc.), not published until the 1990s/2000s, that have mostly not been recorded (cello sonata and a few others aside).  The string quintet in D minor (premiered 1896), criticized and corrected by Brahms in front of the young composer before its premiere (as he recalled 2 decades later, according to Moscovitz), might be interesting to hear...

Claude Torres

The String quartet in E (1893) which was never recorded yet, will be available on a 2 CDs set (With the 4 strings quartets Opp. 4, 15, 19, 25)
Brodsky Quartet
Daniel Rowland, violin
Ian Belton, violin
Paul Cassid, viola
Jacqueline Thomas, cello
Chandos CHAN10845 (2 CDs)

TerraEpon

Well I love The Mermaid but the coupling is a bit silly...

If it's different enough though, I guess it'll have to still be bought.

eschiss1

ah, good to hear, Mr. Torres- thanks.
Moscovitz's book lists several works- some incomplete, of course - from the 1890s recently published (and some yet unpublished).
Orchestral works:
Lustspieloverture and suite, 1894.
Choral:
Several between 1893 and 1898 whose first publication dates he gives as 1990 or later...
Chamber:
Romanze for violin and piano in D-flat, 1889. (no publisher listed.)
3 pieces for cello and piano, 1891, published 2006 (Ricordi) (recorded, I think.)
The aforementioned E minor string quartet, circa 1893, published 1996.
Violin sonata, 1894, published 2006.
serenade-suite, A major, violin&piano, 1895, published 1984. (recorded, I think.)
string quintet in D minor, 1894, rev. finale 1896, published 2000.
Jagdstück, 2 horns and piano, 1939, published 1977.
Humoresque for wind quintet, 1939, published 1978.

eschiss1

I like his sinfonietta quite alot myself- based on the hearings I've given it. Would rather have it in its original form I agree, and more recordings of it. (Yes, it's one of his more modern works- relatively speaking, in the sense of early 20th century rather than late Romantic, rather than Modern, obviously.)

Alan Howe

I too think the coupling is silly, but curiosity concerning Die Seejungfrau will no doubt induce me to buy the new CD...