Robert Radecke Symphony etc.

Started by Wheesht, Thursday 26 March 2015, 09:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Robert Radecke's Symphony in F Major, Op. 50 was played in Biel/Bienne, Switzerland, last night in a concert by the Biel Solothurn Symphony Orchestra conducted by Kaspar Zehnder. The Symphony is a marvellous work IMHO, in four movements rich in melodic invention, about half an hour long.
The concert was very good and was very well received by the audience (who were told that there are plans underfoot to dissolve the orchestra for economical reasons!)

In June they will record the Symphony and four other orchestral works (all world premier recordings) for CPO. The other works are:

Overture to Shakespeare's «King John», Op. 25
Two Scherzi, Op. 52
«Nachtstück» (A Night Piece), Op. 55

Alan Howe

That's very good news indeed. Very sorry to hear about the orchestra's future, though.

Wheesht

The SOBS (Symphony Orchestra Biel Solothurn) has started a crowdfunding project to help finance the CD production (wemakeit.com).

All may not be lost for the orchestra as the suggestion by certain politicians that having a so-called project orchestra instead of a regular one would be cheaper while providing the same quality and flexibility was met with widespread disbelief and has apparently resulted in a lot of people signing a petition to keep the orchestra.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Worth backing, I'd say. £35 (approx) gets you a CD and an invitation to the launch...

Wheesht

The project is now 124% funded with 12 days still to go - that is very good news. Now it is just a question of waiting for the recording to be made and to be released...

Alan Howe

Oh, brilliant. Very good news indeed.

sdtom

Alan Howe

The recording is due to take place on 18th and 19th of this month (June). No news yet about launch or release dates.

Wheesht

My perk for contributing towards the funding is that I can be present at one session of the recording, either on 16th, 17th or 18th June. How long it will take for the recording to be ready and, more crucially perhaps, for CPO to release it is another matter. There's also no news as yet regarding the Trio Fontane recording of Radecke's Piano Trios, recorded for CPO last October. I'll just have to be patient and listen to 'some' other music I have...

Alan Howe

I trust you'll report back on how the session went...

Wheesht

The CD launch has now been scheduled for 10th May 2016 - I can hardly wait, especially since I unfortunately missed the recording session.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

adcsound

Dear Friends,

First post.

I was surfing on the web and found this forum and this thread.
I can give you news from the Radecke Symphony recording with the SOBS and Kaspar Zehnder as I was the artistic director and the first sound engineer with this production.
I did this project with my firm.

The recording sessions were in June 2015. The CD will be available by CPO at the end of february 2016.

We recorded:

König Johann Op.25
Symphony Op.50
Nachtstück Op.55
Scherzo 1 Op.52
Scherzo 2 Op.52.

It has been a really nice work.
The music is really beautifull and interesting.
You can find some few pictures on my website here:
www.adcsound.ch/fr/actualites-2

(avril/mai/juin 2015, in french or german, not yet available in English).

A video trailer "The making of the recording" has been shooted by a team from Berlin and will be available soon. I just saw the first editing and it's really nice. You'll also see Christian Radecke who was also invited by Kaspar for one session.

Really impressive meeting.

All the best to all of you from Bern (Switzerland),

Fred.