Gernsheim's chamber works

Started by Balapoel, Monday 13 April 2015, 09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Balapoel

I was researching Gernsheim recently, and was surprised to come across considerable materials I hadn't been aware of - much of it not recorded. It's of very high quality, reminiscent of Brahms - and I'm sure many folks here have enjoyed it. I just want more of it (if possible).

I've appended this list - recorded works in blue, and if anyone can add to it, I'd appreciate it.

12   Cello Sonata No. 1 in d minor (1868)
79   Cello Sonata No. 2 in e minor (1902-1906)
87   Cello Sonata No. 3 in e minor (1914)
6   Piano Quartet No. 1 in Eb (1865)
20   Piano Quartet No. 2 in c minor (1870)
47   Piano Quartet No. 3 in F (1883)
35   Piano Quintet No. 1 in d minor (1877)
63   Piano Quintet No. 2 in b minor (1897)

Piano Trio [No. 1] in Eb (early)   
23   Piano Trio [No. 2] in Bb (1873)
28   Piano Trio No. 1 [No. 3] in F (1873)
37   Piano Trio No. 2 [No. 4] in B (1879)

25   String Quartet No. 1 in c minor (1872)
31   String Quartet No. 2 in a minor (1875)
51   String Quartet No. 3 in F (1886)
66   String Quartet No. 4 in e minor (1900)
83   String Quartet No. 5 in A (1911)
9   String Quintet No. 1 in D (1868)
89   String Quintet No. 2 in Eb (1915)
   Andante for violin and piano (1853)
   Violin Sonata in e minor (1857)
4   Violin Sonata No. 1 in c minor (1865)
33   Fantasiestück for Violin and Piano (1876)
38   Introduction and Allegro appassionato for Violin and Piano (1879)
50   Violin Sonata No. 2 in C (1885)
64   Violin Sonata No. 3 in F (1898)
85   Violin Sonata No. 4 in G (1912)

Piano Sonata in d minor (1854) (says 'No. 3')
   Piano Sonata in Eb (1859)
1   Piano Sonata in f minor (1861)

Alan Howe

There's also a Divertimento for flute and strings in E major, Op.53 (1888)
By the way: there are a number of previous threads on various of Gernsheim's chamber works - please do a search of the entire website so that we don't repeat ourselves unnecessarily. Thanks.

sdtom

It appears he is just chamber works.
Tom :)

eschiss1

welllll... if one's not counting his choral works (some available in broadcasts), symphonies (the 4 published ones commercially recorded, 2 of them twice), concertos (one commercially recorded), lieder, etc., then I suppose that's perhaps the case, as much as for some other composers?

Balapoel

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 13 April 2015, 09:48
There's also a Divertimento for flute and strings in E major, Op.53 (1888)
By the way: there are a number of previous threads on various of Gernsheim's chamber works - please do a search of the entire website so that we don't repeat ourselves unnecessarily. Thanks.

I did a search and there is no duplication of topics, thank you.

The Op. 53 I have is with string orchestra, so I didn't include it. After all, this is a targeted thread.

Claude Torres

There is also a work for cello and piano (or cello and small orchestra)
Also for cello and Harmonium (1881)

Elohenu (Our Lord), hebrew song , Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann, 1882
Recorder on CD Ambiante ACD-3014 in a version for viola and orgel
Semjon Kalinowsky (Viola) und Torsten Laux (Orgel)
see http://www.ambiente-audio.de/main/seite1.php?layout=katalog&filename=production.php&bestnr=3014

Also considered as a chamber work
Divertimento for flute, string quartet and double bass (or flute and string orchestra),  op. 53, Berlin 1887, Luckhardt, 1888

Claude

Balapoel

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

The title given for Op. 53 in Fleisher is:
Divertimento für Flöte, 2 Violinen, Viola, Violoncell und Contrabass (oder Flüte und Streichorchester): op. 53
so the composer clearly intended it to exist in both versions. As an aside this was one of the works I recommended Cameo Classics to record when David Kent-Watson was thinking of putting together a disk of music for flute and small orchestra to show off the talents of the extremely able principal flautist of the Malta Philharmonic. In the end, of the works I suggested, only Jadassohn's Serenade for flute and strings was recorded, in a very creditable performance IMHO. (The Jadassohn, incidentally, was written for full string orchestra; there is, to my knowledge, no version for flute and string quintet, unlike Gernsheim's piece.)

I do agree that Gernsheim's chamber music does seem to be of a uniformly high standard. I would love to hear more of it.

sdtom

in my defense I saw no symphonies listed or choral works.
Tom :)

Alan Howe

QuoteThe title given for Op. 53 in Fleisher is:
Divertimento für Flöte, 2 Violinen, Viola, Violoncell und Contrabass (oder Flüte und Streichorchester): op. 53
so the composer clearly intended it to exist in both versions.

Thanks for that confirmation, Gareth.

matesic

I'd fully expected that a few more of Gernsheim's string quartets would have had commercial recordings by now, but we still seem only to have the quartet no.2 Op.31 so I'll take the opportunity of plugging my renditions of quartets Nos. 1, 3 and 5 and the string quintet No.1 on IMSLP. Quartet No.4 was too hard!

Alan Howe

Thanks, that's a handy reminder.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotein my defense I saw no symphonies listed or choral works.
Yes but, Tom, Balapoel did head his post "Gernsheim's chamber works" (my italics)  ;)

eschiss1

and you could maybe have done some searching of your own and found e.g. (after a moment with Google?) (assuming in advance you know his first name is Friedrich- otherwise, hits having to do with the more famous photographer Helmut Gernsheim will probably distract) --

http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Friedrich_Gernsheim
or the briefer worklist attached to the Wikipedia biography that's here.