News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Moszkowski PC Op.59

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 30 April 2015, 08:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

semloh

Not on Mr. Moog's synthesizer I suppose?  :)

It's a strange coupling. Surely, it's far more sensible to follow Hyperion's example and go with something that buyers are less likely to have (probably in multiple versions) on their shelves, in their case the Paderewski.

Mark Thomas

I imagine that the coupling was dictated by someone's fear that, on its own or coupled with something equally "obscure", the Moszkowski just wouldn't sell.

sdtom

The two together don't make any sense to me at all. The question is how good is the Grieg and secondly will we buy it for the Moszkowski?
Tom :)

thalbergmad

It is a strange World we live in if the Moszkowski needs the Grieg to help sell it.

Would have thought it would be the other way around and for me, the Grieg will put me off buying it.

Thal

Jonathan

Agreed - same here! Wonder if it's possible to just download the Moszkowski?

thalbergmad

The usual trick is to allow a single movement to be downloaded on its own, but not an entire work, so i suspect if one wants the Moszkowski one will get the Grieg. However, I am reasonably certain that my anti virus will trigger and put the Grieg into quarantine before deciding to put it in the trash can.

On a more serious note, the pianists rendition of the Moskowski/Wagner Isoldes Tod left me unmoved and his style is a little too reserved for my taste. For me he is insufficiently "romantic" to be taking on this concerto.

Thal

Richard Moss

Don't know about Onyx but many download sites allow you to download just the tracks you  want (but with a common exception is that usually any track over 10 mins is only available with the full album). 

However, I know Hyperion and eclassical (the BIS download site) allow, unless I'm wrong, whatever tracks you want regardless (no injustice intended to any other download sites that do the same that I wot not of!)

Cheers

Richard

Gareth Vaughan

This recording does not fill me with much enthusiasm. I await much more eagerly a CD of the earlier PC, Op. 3.

FBerwald

Me too. I believe I read somewhere that Moszkowsky's B minor Concerto might be done by Hyperion... Whatever the case that's the one to look out for.

Alan Howe

Nevertheless, I'll be looking out for the reviews - just in case this turns out to be magnificent...

lasm2000

Well, in the past he released the Rubinstein 4 along with the Rach 3. The Rach 3 was so-so but the Rubinstein 4 is probably the best version I've heard (along with Banowetz). He also recorded Scharwenka's sonata 2 and it was easily comparable to Tanyel.
It seems to me that Moog wants to record some more UC-friendly repertory while the record company wants to keep it safe, resulting in those funny pairings. In any case,  I would keep an eye on it.

Alan Howe

alharris

Well I was surprised and delighted to find the Moszkowski/Grieg available today for download at Arkiv music:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1848089

I must happily report that this rendition of the Moszkowski, to which I've listened twice, goes to the top of my list. Moog's virtuosity is jaw-dropping and seemingly effortless, and the orchestral contribution and recorded sound are first-class.

Be prepared for a wild ride. Moog plays the piece faster than I've ever heard it.   For example, Movement I, marked Moderato, is taken at what I would describe as an Allegro Vivace, but no matter-I love it! 

I'll withhold comments on the Grieg. None of us are buying this for the Grieg.

edurban

Tempos on the sound samples don't sound that extreme to me.  Less easy-going than the Hyperion, I guess, which would be fine, maybe more like Michael Ponti's? (I haven't heard that version in years, but I grew up with it and remember it as brisk....)