Charles O'Brien Symphony in F minor

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 30 April 2015, 08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...oh, and by the way, one shouldn't underestimate the skill of the performers here - the Liepāja Symphony Orchestra from Latvia under their sensitive (British) conductor, Paul Mann. They are absolutely superb - and superbly well recorded too. I defy anyone not to be moved by the quiet, string-led passage beginning at around 8:30 in the slow third movement. Wonderful!

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

sdtom

Another winner for Toccata. I enjoyed the loud exchanges between the strings and horns in the first movement. I also enjoyed his use of the bassoon throughout. While the orchestra seemed a bit thin in spots lacking the fullness the work required other parts didn't reveal the smaller orchestra at all.
Tom :)

Alan Howe

The symphony is certainly growing on me. I'm sure this is in no small measure due to the skill of conductor Paul Mann. He'd do a fine job on, say, Wilhelm Berger's 2nd Symphony which badly needs recording.

DennisS

Received my copy of the CD yesterday. Have only so far listened to the Overture as I have not been able to listen to as much music as I usually do. I enjoyed the Scottish melody of the overture which I too found memorable. I personally did not find that the music outstayed its welcome! I will listen to the much more substantial symphony and post my opinion of it in due course. Thanks UC for your recommendation.

sdtom

https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/06/29/complete-orchestral-music-volume-onecharles-obrien/

My review on my blog of the O'Brien CD. I'm now looking forward to getting the Solberg CD. It has not only grown on me but it has pushed its way into my informal top 100.
Tom :)

kuula

Based on these comments, I have ordered both the orchestral and piano CDs.  What will Toccata include in a second orchestral CD?

sdtom

From what I understand O'Brien wrote some orchestral work between the Ellangowan overture (1909) and his Symphony in F minor (1923). This is the material to be included.
Tom

Mark Thomas

kuula

Vol. 2 of the O'Brien will contain:

·         To Spring: Concert Overture, Op. 4

·         The Minstrel's Curse: Concert Overture, Op. 7

·         Mazurka

·         Berceuse

·         Scottish Scenes, Op. 17

Coming in Spring 2016, same performers

Alan Howe

Shame there's nothing more substantial...

jerfilm

I was thinking the very same thing, Alan.......