Charles O'Brien Symphony in F minor

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 30 April 2015, 08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

How interesting. The selection of his piano music already available from Toccata, which includes a Piano Sonata, reveals a composer of thoroughly romantic spirit.

Alan Howe

Here's the blurb:

O'Brien's Symphony in F minor (1922) is a full-scale Romantic score in the tradition of Mendelssohn and Brahms, powerful and lyrical by turn. His music also shows an awareness of Elgar, but it has an individual Scottish quality of its own. It is coupled here with his heartening, Walter Scott-inspired overture Ellangowan, resplendent with a big Scottish tune which lingers in the memory.

sdtom

I wonder when this release will be available? I'm already intrigued.
Tom

Alan Howe

semloh

Gareth Vaughan

I knew O'Brien's son, David, slightly for a short time. We worked together on a short musical he had written. He told me then about his father's symphony, of which he thought highly (and not just because he was his son). I am very pleased that it has now been recorded.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Nothing there to frighten the horses, by the sound of it. A definite buy for me, although not with any real hope of hearing a lost masterpiece.

Alan Howe

sdtom

I think that I'll wait to get the CD and have a good couple of listens before I pass judgment.
Tom :)

Mark Thomas

Oh, I wasn't really passing judgement, Tom, just airing my suspicions.

eschiss1

Well, "frightening the horses" is usually not considered a compliment on this forum.

Alan Howe

But "nothing there to frighten the horses" is actually an expression of relief that the music is likely to be perfectly acceptable on this forum.

JimL