Flute Concertos by Büchner and Dupuy

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 22 June 2015, 20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

adriano

Brilliant has also re-issued those 4 double-CD albums entitled "Respighi's complete orchestral music", a series, whose conductor himself had warned me long ago that it was never to be completed. Still, the new 8-CD box carries the title "Complete" - and it does not even need an expert to find out that more than a dozen of orchestral works are missing. This looks like ignorance or just commercial swindle.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Not sure what Brilliant's labeling issues (which are also a problem with a - much, much much larger - Brilliant Box I'm familiar with) - have to do with the set at hand, though?

Anyhow, I recall seeing some of the music for some Büchner flute concertos awhile back; it will be nice to hear them.

adriano

I know, eschiss, but sometimes in conversations (hoping these posts can be considered as such) small parenthesis are a quite human feature  8)

Alan Howe

...as long as we return to the topic in hand. Which we have.

Alan Howe

The Büchner is very, very old-fashioned for 1893 (when it was written) - it could easily have been written in mid-century. It's miles too long for its material, but it does have some fetching orchestration and it must be absolute pig to play. It's well done here, but don't expect an undiscovered masterpiece. A curiosity only, sadly. Still, flautists will be interested. Roz?