Who would you consider a Brucknerian composer?

Started by swanekj, Thursday 08 July 2010, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic

swanekj

Many composers have been unashamed to be identified as Wagnerian, but I got to thinking about composers that "sound like" that other Master, for example Wetz and Cliffe.  Would folks think of Schmidt-Kowalski as "Brucknerian" (not so much for me)?

chill319

Stenhammar's Symphony 1 is strikingly Brucknerian.

eschiss1

Haven't heard it, but judging from a Fanfare review, August Halm's symphony in A (on Sterling) qualifies easily. (The 2005 Musicweb review is, whatever the Brucknerian implications, much less positive ;) ) (Rob Barnett notes some Bruckner influence in Paul Büttner's symphony no. 4 also on Sterling- which I also have not yet heard; I do hope to.)

mbhaub

I guess that depends on what you mean by "Brucknerian". In terms of taking a small musical germ and transforming it over the long stretch Franz Schmidt, Ernest Bloch, even Korngold might fit. Possibly even Valentin Silvestrov. I can't think of any composer who actually sounds like Bruckner; his orchestation is utterly unique.

Mark Thomas

I think you'll find that Martin Scherber's Third Symphony of the early 1950s will qualify on all counts, Martin.

Alan Howe

I agree about Stenhammar 1. Otherwise, Wetz is probably the best fit. Halm doesn't sound like Bruckner at all. Oh yes, and Scherber 3: very Brucknerian, but without the glorious sense of 'arrival' in climaxes.

John H White

If long windedness is the main criterion I think some of Furtwangler's symphonic music might fill the bill.

eschiss1

Quote from: John H White on Friday 09 July 2010, 16:46
If long windedness is the main criterion I think some of Furtwangler's symphonic music might fill the bill.

One review of Furtwängler's 2nd did note a mixture of influences including Brahms, Bruckner and Dvorak. I do think I hear all 3 perhaps. (Not a criticism- I have been pulled back repeatedly to it in the excellent Teldec recording...)
Eric

Alan Howe

Furtwängler 2 also contains a goodly amount of Tchaikovsky!

jthill

Although not a Bruckner model composer per. se. Rautavaara's 3rd Symphony contains a great many Bruckner-like themes, phrasing, and textures including the use of 4 Wagner tubas.

mbhaub

I'd forgotten Furtwangler -- yes, very Brucknerian without the genius. I've never heard of Scherber! So I see another disk to be ordering soon. Thanks for the tip.

monafam

I don't get a "Brucknerian" feel from Schmidt-Kowalski.  The latter is no doubt steeped in romanticism (I love the CDs I have from him to date), but his symphonies aren't as expansive as Bruckner (although most aren't -- and I do like Bruckner).  I'm not much of a musicologist, so you have to bear with me a bit. 

Hovite

Franck, Glass, Stenhammar, Furtwängler, Moroi, Masia.

swanekj

eschiss1

Quote from: swanekj on Tuesday 13 July 2010, 20:35
Both Francks?   Masia?

... there's at least four or five Francks, composerwise (from the Renaissance to the Romantic era). Two of them father and son. Which two do you have in mind?