News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Mlynarski VC 1-2

Started by Karlowicz, Sunday 06 June 2010, 02:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Karlowicz

Hey guys, this is my first topic, so, please forgive me if I put this in the wrong spot! I listened to Nigel Kennedy's recording of Mlynarski's 2nd violin concerto and was blown away (especially by the ending). I've been scowering the internet searching for sheet music for it but to no avail. His first concerto is out there but there are no recordings...it's the ultimate paradox!! Does anybody know where I can acquire some sheet music of Mlynarski 2 or a recording of Mlynarski 1?

Thanks!

Alan Howe

VC1 hasn't been recorded - as far as I know.

giles.enders

I too acquired the Mlynarski violin concerto and whole heartidly agree it is a winner, good for Nigel who insisted on recording it. As he is now resident in Poland I hope he will discover some others.
Giles.Enders

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI've been scowering the internet searching for sheet music for it but to no avail.
Try the Polish music publisher PWM. There are some works of Mlynarski, including the piano/violin score of VC No. 2 here: =9]http://www.pwm.com.pl/search.sphp?action=showInstance&search%5Blang%5D=english&search%5Bquery%5D=Mlynarski&search%5Bcomposer%5D=M%B3ynarski+Emil&search%5Bworks_in_publication%5D=&search%5Bpublisher%5D=&search%5Binstance%5D=&search%5Bpwm_number%5D=&search%5Bisbn_number%5D=&search%5Bismn_number%5D=&search%5Bmax_price%5D=&search[instance]=9
They used to be very helpful, but I haven't been in touch with them for quite a few years. I hope they remain so.

Gareth Vaughan

The Full Score of Mlynarski's 1st VC can be downloaded from IMSLP - and I have just done so. The Royal Academy of Music has the piano/violin score pf this work.

JimL

Kennedy's advocacy of #2 aside, a disc of Mlynarsky VCs 1 & 2 would be a nice jolt for the Hyperion series.

Peter1953

I've listened to the audio samples. Again. And again.
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Nigel-Kennedy-Polish-Spirit/hnum/5551864
Wow, this could be a real discovery. I've ordered the disc.

giles.enders

Sadly, I note that the Kennedy recording is on offer at HMV for £5, I say sadly because it is unusual for such a reduction so soon after release.

Peter1953

That's real cheap. I thought I had a bargain for EUR 8.99 (jpc) when I bought Polish Spirit a few weeks ago.

After the first listen I thought: What did I just hear? I can't remember anything I've just heard.
The first movement has, as a highlight, a long cadenza. The andante is utterly lyrical, like the song of a lovely, chirping bird, but afterwards I can't recall a single tune. The final movement has a memorable theme. It's more an allegro con fuoco than an allegro vivace. Of course, Nigel Kennedy plays the violin passionately.

I suggest everyone who likes dreamy, late Romantic violin concertos and doesn't have the Młynarski (and/or the Karłowicz): spend a few quids and add this CD to your collection.

Amphissa

I didn't spring for Kennedy's CD. I'm happy enough with the Kulka CD, which includes Mlynarski's Symphony in F. And I am very glad to have that as an alternative, since I got fed up with "the weirdness known as Nigel" quite a long time ago. It's hard for me to take anything he does seriously.

eschiss1

As to the Karlowicz, while it's more expensive, the Hyperion recording gives you a lovely concerto by Moszkowski too (at least, I think it is. Memorable opening theme may be biasing my opinion). 

JimL

I've got that one, Eric.  Love the Moszkowski concerto.  Plus, the Hyperion has the added bonus of a picture of Tasmin Little, who is waaay easier on the eyes than Kennedy ever will be, in my (admittedly subjective) opinion! ;)

Gareth Vaughan

I got fed up with "the weirdness known as Nigel" quite a long time ago.

Oh, how I do agree. He may be (he is) a fine player, but he behaves like an arch prat! Sorry to be blunt.

Alan Howe

Well, if uncharacteristically, put, Gareth.