Draeseke Violin Concerto: coupling suggestions, please!

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 02 July 2015, 10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Friends! If a recording were to be made of the newly-orchestrated version of Draeseke's Violin Concerto, what would be an appropriate coupling - say, for an entry in Hyperion's RVC series?

Suggestions, plus reason(s), please!

eschiss1

Does it have to be orchestral? (Some of Hyperion's concerto discs have had piano-accompanied works, as I recall. And a new recording of Draeseke's (later) scene for violin and piano would make for a very interesting coupling to the violin concerto, since the first movement of the concerto shares so much material with the Scene, iirc...)

Alan Howe

All suggestions are very welcome, Eric. Thanks for yours.

mikehopf

It would probably make sense to go for a violin concerto by another Wagner/Liszt inspired composer, say Siegfried Wagner or the ubiquitous Raff. Personally, I'd go for the Litolff Violin Concerto... no obvious connection to Draeseke that I know of, but how many of Hyperion's couplings do make sense?

Martin Eastick

If we are not constricted by works that may be relevant to Draeseke, but perhaps (almost) contemporary, I would again suggest the Philipp Scharwenka concerto, which seems to keep getting mentioned, but we are still waiting!.........

eschiss1

another thought: Draeseke's pupil Percy Sherwood's concerto. :)

IMSLP has the score of another Draeseke pupil, Kurt Striegler's Violin Concerto in D minor Op.15 (published in 1913 by Junne.)

Alan Howe

Thank you very much indeed for those proposals. Sherwood's VC in F (1902) would be a good choice, but the score in the Bodleian is only a reduction...

eschiss1

Hrm. Jürgen Schaarwächter's new book - Two Centuries of British Symphonism - mentions them too but he doesn't mention if he's seen the concertos. (I've heard of Schaarwächter in another connection. From the look of his book, might be worth a thread in itself.)

MartinH

Why not another reading of the Draeseke in the piano/violin reduction? Since the orchestration is speculative at best, it might be enlightening to hear it plain.

Alan Howe

I suppose that the answer to that is that the reduction is just that - a reduction, not a version actually intended for performance. In any case, the orchestration has been done by an acknowledged and experienced Draeseke expert. 

eschiss1

I believe one can (or could?) hear one performance of it plain all the way through on YouTube and/or download that performance from draeseke.org? (Never having seen the reduction in score/part that performance is the basis on which I make my (obvious) comments about the similarity between one recurring themelet in its first movement and &c &c ...)

eschiss1

Oh- checking IMSLP (which also has the reduction in ms) again the (or another) source of the score is Saxon State and University (Digital) Library Dresden. Thanks!

Alan Howe

Yes, quite right. Having been directed to it there some years ago by the late Dr Alan Krueck, I managed to get SLUB's permission for the reduction to be copied.

Alan Howe