How about some Fučík?

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 23 July 2015, 10:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

MartinH

Yeah! It's about time. The 42-year-old Teldec recording with Neumann and the Czech Phil is quite enjoyable, but has a short play time (only 7 items). This new Chandos has everything the Teldec has and 7 more. This should be fun! And maybe we can look forward to more volumes?

TerraEpon

I guess you never got "K.u.K. Festkonzert" which was recorded in the 80s (also Neumann and Czech Phil), not to mention there's a few more tracks on a disc called Old Czech Marches (which repeats the same recording of Entry of the Gladiators).

That's the only orchestral disc I have dedicated to him, though I have two wind ensemble discs and a chamber/piano/song one.
Of course I'll be getting thiis...looking though, between the two above discs everything except Ballettratten, Op. 226 seems to represented.

Mark Thomas

What a wonderful marketing non sequiter in the MDT write up: "Thirty years after having recorded Dvořák's complete Symphonies on Chandos, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and its laureate conductor Neeme Järvi tackle another romantic Czech composer: Julius Fučík". Chalk or cheese anyone?

Alan Howe

Yes, pretty silly. Cheesy advertising for the Fučík, so I guess the Dvorak's the chalk... ;)

alberto

I have got "K. und K. Festkonzert".
Old Czech March and Dances (Neumann Czech. Phil., Supraphon, 1983-1986 rec.) contained four marches by J.F.:
Fanfare Sounds, Uncle Teddy, Under the Admiral's Flag, Hercevovac and one waltz, Ballerinas op.226.
Neeme Jarvi conducted "Florentiner Marsch" at one Berlin Waldbuhne Concert with the BPO (there is a DVD); it seems to me that also Karajan recorded it.
For me the new Chandos is a most buy.

alberto