Unsung composers of dance music

Started by UnsungMasterpieces, Monday 27 July 2015, 18:43

Previous topic - Next topic

UnsungMasterpieces

Here's a composer I found out about a while ago while looking for unsung composers who composed much waltzes, polkas, galops, etc..
His name is August Labitzky and I could've posted this earlier but I wasn't sure yet because the only piece I know from him is the "Bückeberger-Walzer", which is in my opinion a very nice waltz.

His father Joseph Labitzky (1802-1881) was also a composer, but he was far more prolific than his son August.

I'll list these unsung composers here in chronological order.

Joseph Lanner (1801-1843) Austrian (not that unsung, but I came across him while searching.)
Joseph Labitzky (1802-1881) Czech (mentioned earlier in this post.)
Joseph Gung'l (1809-1889) Austrian, today Hungary (his Hungarian March has been transcribed by Liszt.)
Hans Christian Lumbye (1810-1874) Danish
Philipp Fahrbach der Ältere (1815-1885) Austrian
Friedrich Zikoff (1824-1877) Prussian, today Poland
Carl Faust (1825-1892) Polish
August Labitzky (1832-1903) Czech (mentioned earlier in this post.)
August Lanner (1835-1855) Austrian (son of Joseph Lanner.)
Franz Behr (1837-1898) German
Alphons Czibulka (1842-1894) Austro-Hungarian, today Slovakia
Philipp Fahrbach der Jüngere (1843-1894) Austrian
Karl Michael Ziehrer (1843-1922) Austrian
Richard Eilenberg (1848-1927) German
Karel Komzák II (1850-1905) Czech-born Austrian
Oscar Fetrás (1854-1931) German
Joseph Hellmesberger, Jr. (1855-1907) Austrian (I'm aware of his family members, but I only found music by this one.)
Rudolf Nováček (1860-1929) Czech/Serbian
Julius Fučik (1872-1916) Czech
Siegfried Translateur (1875-1944) German, today Poland

I'm interested if any of you are aware of others so I can add them in the future?

TerraEpon

Check it out:
http://www.johann-strauss.org.uk/composers-a-m.php

And Naxos (Marco Polo) just recently released two discs (plus a digital only "vol. 3" of three pieces) of music by "Contemporaries of the Strauss Family' which includes a bunch of the above list. I don't have them yet but the samples all sound great.

MartinH

Does Karel Komzak II fall in this category? Or well-known enough? I've played some of his works - pleasant enough and a nice change from all the Strauss family stuff we play.

sdtom

All I can say is that the dance material I do listen to is not something we discuss on this board.
Tom

eschiss1

Hans Christian Lumbye (1810-74) is now somewhat "sung", but hopefully still unsung _enough_ for this board (not sure what our standards are but that's going off tangent (a sine, I know, I know.))

If not, then, well, you misspelled Gung'l, and you left out (among very, very, very very many others of course, but just to choose three well-knowns... once...) the once (I gather) quite popular Carl Faust (1825-92), the somewhat successful Friedrich Zikoff (1824-77), Franz/François Behr (1837-98)...

sdtom: where dance music is concerned I probably go more for musical theater (somewhat older things, or among the postwar generation (but still my parents' generation) maybe Sondheim- not the "Allerneueste" style and manner and... right. There are (rather few) classical concert composers writing in the late 20th century/early 21st (more the latter; most died by 2000, others by 2015...) I like, but rather fewer dance or theater composers.)

UnsungMasterpieces

Thanks! I wasn't even aware of those three. I'll put them in the list.
I was aware of Lumbye, but I thought he was too famous for the list, but I've put him in, just in case.

FBerwald

Waldteufel has always been a particular favorite of mine. Marco Polo brought out 11 vol.'s of his dance music. I was hoping for a complete collection. I'd so love to hear the Manolo waltz that set his career off!

TerraEpon

Waldtefel certainly was a one hit wonder but his so many of his waltzes are just truly infectious -- perhaps even more so than the master himself (his other dance music is somewhat reletively limited in number, comparatively). He also wasn't as prolific as his OP numbers would lead you to believe, so while the 11 discs is hardly complete, it's still a somewhat decent chunk.

eschiss1

not positive I should have included Behr, whose output I think was largely of brief piano works many but not all of which happened to -be- dances.

Christopher

Delicious Manager

I would add the Czech composer Julius Fučík (1872 – 1916), most famous for his March of the Gladiators.

FBerwald

Let's not forget Offenbach and his unexplored orchestral waltzes [dance music]... Has anyone heard the "Evening Papers" waltz which is always mentioned in any summery of Strauss's "Morning Papers".

UnsungMasterpieces

Didn't know Offenbach composed a waltz but I don't feature composers in the list who composed but a few pieces like waltzes or polkas. It's about the main genre.

TerraEpon

Offenbach wrote quite a number of waltzes and other dances, though the majority was for piano -- there's three discs of piano music on CPO and anyone who likes the composers in this thread would likely find them very enjoyable. There are a few orchestral dances as well which have had a couple recordings.

Obviously Offenbach's main genre is squarely operetta though -- of course, many of the others wrote those too.

Speaking of which, I would definetly add Carl Michael Ziehrer, who like Strauss wrote quite a number of dances and a bunch of operettas.

UnsungMasterpieces