New Thalberg release

Started by arpeggio, Sunday 09 August 2015, 23:28

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

This may be of interest to a few. As an enthusiast of this repertoire area, imo it has one of the very best Thalberg paraphrases on it in the shape of the Sonnambula fantasy.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Piano%2BClassics/PCL0092

A promising-looking addition, Mark Viner being a noted exponent of Alkan, and I'm glad to see more recording time given to these 19th century curiosities. On my "to buy" list. It will be interesting to hear if he can match up to Earl Wild in Don Pasquale!

thalbergmad

It will also be interesting if he can match Nicolosi's Sonnambula which is a recording that i seem to listen to on a weekly basis. Dreamy playing when he holds that trill in the background whilst playing 2 themes with his left hand.

It would have been nice to hear some never before recorded works, but one must be grateful for a new recording.

Thal

arpeggio

Quote from: thalbergmad on Monday 10 August 2015, 21:14

It would have been nice to hear some never before recorded works, but one must be grateful for a new recording.

Yes, agreed, or for someone to re-record the op.70 set as Power's recording is not up to scratch, imo.

thalbergmad

I think you should record it old chap.

Thal

arpeggio

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but in general I'm (personally) somewhat opposed to completist projects - I think they all too often end up with someone recording less-distinguished pieces which they don't really believe in, purely for the sake of it, and the net result shows.

Jonathan

I've finally got a copy of this disc and it is superb! Very warmly recommended to anyone. Recording quality is excellent too.