News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Reubke Sonatas

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 14 August 2015, 00:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

adriano

Very interesting! The last CD with this program was on a DORIAN item of 1989 - am I right? Oh no, I just see, there was a Nimbus recordings of 1992 (how is that?).
In 1982, I produced an LP (my own label) with piano (and no organ) works by Julius and Otto Reubke: my, how time goes by...

Jonathan

This sounds just like what I would like - a must buy for me (especially having struggled through Stradal's Liszt transcriptions)

eschiss1

The Dorian program however has Guillou playing the organ in the 94th psalm sonata, and piano in the piano sonata. (Filsell did similarly in 1997 for Guild.) (This procedure- playing different instruments (e.g. organ and piano) in different works on the same program (a CD of Poulenc harpsichord, organ, and piano concertos, iirc, with the same instrumentalist- was it David Schrader?- at all three? I think...)- I have seen before, though not with Reubke- before, yes, looking it up and seeing that it's been done at least twice...)

In the Hyperion recording, the organ sonata is performed in an arrangement for piano by Stradal (some of whose arrangements are so recently being recorded on Toccata, yes?) and also a piano arrangement of the adagio (alone) by the composer. (+ the piano sonata, too, of course.) Hrm- has -that- program been recorded commercially before (perhaps without the Adagio arrangement, but...?)

Jonathan

Finally got around to ordering this today - now waiting on the post...

To answer your question eschiss1, I believe this is the first recording of this programme as I cannot find any evidence of an earlier one!

adriano

About Reubke's Piano Sonata: An Adriano Records LP, which I produced in 1982 (pianist: Rudolf am Bach), was quite a pioneering one, since at that time, only another (another small label like mine, but German - I have forgotten the pianist's name; something like Bayer) had been produced before. "My" LP contained also other piano pieces by Julius and some by Otto Reubke. Am Bach had insisted using the Sonata's critical edition by Stradal, after having compared it with the "original" version.

Jonathan

Interesting information hadrianus - most helpful!

adriano

In the meantime I could find out that the mentioned earlier LP was on the RBM label and recorded in 1975. It was the piano Sonata's world premier recording (also using the Stradal edition). The pianist is Hans-Dieter Bauer. Reubke's Sonata was coupled there with pieces by Liszt (Dante-Sonata, Czardas obstiné and Bagatelle ohne Tonart) and with Julius' Reubke's Mazurka. The remaining pieces figuring on my own LP were all world premieres.