Eggert Symphonies 1 & 3

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 25 August 2015, 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

According to a several years-old news item, these would be the symphonies in C (major?) and E-flat. I think no.3 has been previously recorded- and has sparked debate because of its use of trombones and uncertain dating: so - "did Eggert or Beethoven use trombones in a symphony first?" (not that either knew the other's example, the suggested date for the Eggert is that close to the premiere of the Beethoven (5th).)
The incidental music is new to me too.
A welcome release. Not a hint of it in Naxos' upcoming recordings for the next month, unfortunately.

Alan Howe

It's probably technically an October release, Eric.

TerraEpon

So is this that same recording that was mentioned in those threads?

Alan Howe

I think so, yes - although there seems to be some confusion over the numbering of the symphonies.

Alan Howe

Here's the front cover of the CD:

Naxos' own blurb reads:

Arriving in Sweden in 1803, Joachim Nikolas Eggert soon thereafter established himself as a progressive conductor, introducing Beethoven to Stockholm audiences. Hinting at Mozart and Haydn, Eggert's large-scale First Symphony, welcomed overwhelmingly on its première, foreshadows Mendelssohn in its wind textures and rich harmonies. His Third Symphony is kaleidoscopic in its moments of light and shade and unusual in its gigantic fugal finale. First of a two-volume set, these two symphonies alone demonstrate that Eggert should be considered one of the more important composers of his era.
http://naxosdirect.com/items/eggert-symphonies-nos.-1-3-319358

So there's another CD to come...

Alan Howe

Apparently there are four symphonies:

Symphony in C major (Naxos: "No.1")
1. Adagio mesto — Allegro con brio
2. Andante
3. Menuetto Allegro
4. Fantasy on a Swedish folk tune: Allegro vivace
Year of composition: Most likely between 1805-1809, but after the C minor symphony
Duration: 26 min

Symphony in G minor 'Skjöldebrand' (Naxos: "No.2")
1. Adagio — Allegro con brio
2. Andante
3. Menuetto: Allegretto
4. Allegro
Year of composition: Before 1806, but not after the C minor symphony
Dedication: To A.F. Skjöldebrand
First performed: 20 February 1807
Duration: 25 min

Symphonie à grande Orchestre [Symphony in C minor] (Naxos: "No.4")
1. Adagio — Allegro assai
2. Adagio — Allegro moderato — Adagio
3. Menuetto and Trio
4. Finale: Allegro con spirito
Year of composition: Some time between September 1804 and May 1805
First performed: 29 April 1805, Rikssalen Stockholm Palace
Duration: 25 min

Symphony in E-flat major (Naxos: "No.3")
1. Adagio Maestoso — Allegro Spiritoso
2. Marche: Grave
3. Fugue: Adagio Maestoso — Allegro
Year of composition: April 1807
Dedication: Dedicated to the Royal Swedish Academy of Music
First performed: 14 May 1807 in the House of Nobility, Stockholm
Duration: 21 min

Source: http://www.swedishmusicalheritage.com/composers/eggert-joachim-nikolas/

There must, therefore, be some confusion about the numbering. The above info suggests an order as follows:
1. G minor (before September 1804)
2. C minor (between September 1804 and May 1805)
3 or 4? C major (between May 1805 and 1809)
3 or 4? E flat (April 1807)

If this is correct, then Naxos vol.1 contains the last two symphonies. Or have I got this wrong? Help!

Alan Howe

Hofrat told us that there is no concensus regarding the order of Eggert's symphonies, but it seems that the one in E flat (with the trombones!) is the third
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,283.msg3159.html#msg3159
Explains everything! Apologies!

eschiss1

Here's a discussion, if anyone's interested, about Eggert's 3rd symphony in context...

Authenticating the Premiere of Eggert's E-flat Symphony

(The title has to do with a few things; one is just the question of when Eggert's 3rd symphony was premiered- the evidence is not crystal clear... to quote from part of the article, though it's just part and should be read, if this sort of thing interests- Hofrat will, I think, rightly point out that what I am quoting is only part of a debate, not a conclusion but part of a discussion-

"In their 1925 STM article (Nordling and Broman, 1925:50-51), Tobias Norlind and Sten Broman actually did provide evidence of the first performances of the four completed symphonies. The premiere of the C-Major Symphony took place on 29 April 1805 at a reception for the King and Queen of Sweden in the State Hall. The performance was repeated for the public on 14 May 1805, this being the first time a composition by Eggert appeared on a concert program in Stockholm. The G-Minor Symphony, entitled "Skjöldebrand," was scheduled for a concert program on 10 December 1806, but Eggert withdrew it because the necessary trumpets were not available. On 20 February 1807, "Skjöldebrand" was finally performed to great acclaim (Nordling and Broman, 1925:50)."

(If the 1925 article has not since been corrected by new information however on this specific point... - quite possibly it has- then the C major symphony clearly belongs "April 1805 or before", not May 1805-09, which would make its date of composition start a month after its premiere, yes??... there is no mention in the 2001 article of conflicting information there, but that might be an oversight...)

John H White

The Eggert CD arrived yesterday. After a couple of playings, I would say that, for me, the 1st symphony was by far the best item on the disk. I would describe it as basically Haydn with a touch of Turkish garnish.  Haydn being one of my musical heroes for over 70 years, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. However, I was very disappointed in No 3 after all the whohah  about the 3 trombones. Neither of the 3 movements really clicked for me.
The overture I found quite pleasant with a slight touch of Rossini but I didn't find the incidental music that helped to fill up the disk particularly inspiring. I don't think this CD is going to make the top ten in the Classical Charts :).

Alan Howe

A case of a composer being over-egged, perhaps?  ;)

John H White

eschiss1

At least two of his symphonies have been available in other recordings and/or broadcasts (both, probably)- the E-flat and the G minor-- and I'm fairly sure we had those two @ our Downloads board for awhile. How does the new recording of the E-flat compare to that older one? I enjoyed both symphonies of his that were uploaded (more than enough to look forward to this issue and any sequel it might have).

Syrelius

I agree with John that this disc will hardly hit the top ten sales list, but we probably disagree on the reason for it. To me, Eggert's music has been one of my major discoveries in recent years. I find his music well orchestrated as well as melodically inspired and, eventhough one may easily spot the influences from other composers, Eggert has a distinctive personal voice.

I also agree with John that the symphony in E flat is a bit problematic. Eggert experiments with form, but the result is far from convincing - the parts are simply better than the whole. However, I think Korsten's interpretation of the work hides some of its qualities. I was fortunate enough to hear Andrew Manze conduct the Stockholm Philharmonic in this symphony a few years ago. With the risk of over-simplifying things, one might say that Manze approached the work as if it were a Beethoven symphony while Korsten rather treats it like a Mozart divertimento. Manze brought out the lights and shades in the work that van Boer mentions in the CD text, highlighting the emotional depth of the work. There is, in my opinion, not much of that left in Korsten's interpretation. I fully understund John's comment about the trombones. They played a far more important role under Manze, contributing strongly to the tensions and climaxes in the first movement. Unfortunately, you don't hear much of that with Korsten.
However, I hope that this criticism and John's earlier review doestn't scare anyone from buying the CD. It is well played and recorded and it is, unfortunately, most likely that this is the only time that we will have the chance to buy this wonderful music on CD.