News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Adolphe Veuve (1872-1947)

Started by Wheesht, Sunday 30 August 2015, 14:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The newly discovered violin sonata no. 1 in C major opus 1 by the Swiss composer Adolphe Veuve was played in a few concerts recently. Apparently the ms score had been lying in a private archive since the composer's death, never having been published or indeed played as far as is known at present. The name Veuve meant nothing to me, but I have since learnt that he entered the academy led by Joseph Joachim in Berlin at the age of 16, studied piano with Leschetizky and composition with Karl Navratil. Many of his works appear to have been lost or have at least not been found yet, among them orchestral suites, a string quartet and a piano concerto.
His piano sonata and Mélodies I and II (and a spoken introduction in French) can be found here .

eschiss1

The name means something to me, but not in that sense- I've seen Veuve (or Vve!) used to mean "Widow of" as a signifier in eponymous French publishing company names, but how common is it as a surname?
Anyhow, thanks for the notice!

Wheesht

You're welcome! My first reaction to that name was the same, I only knew the word meaning widow...