Holbrooke from Dutton

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 12 July 2010, 12:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Dutton have released a CD containing inter alia the Symphony No.4 and the Cello Concerto...

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDLX7251&cat=385

Pengelli

Thanks,Alan.I'm ordering the cd from the Dutton website right now!

Mark Thomas

This is great news! Do we have you to thank, Gareth?

M. Henriksen

The new John Foulds CD from the same company should also be mentioned. Earlier on this forum Gareth Vaughan wrote about some upcoming releases of Foulds' orchestral music, and here's the first:

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDLX7252&cat=385

Morten

Pengelli

Also,the cd of Oboe Concerto's too,particularly for the Cyril Scott. I recently bought the Naxos cd of his Violin Sonata's. I think he was at his best when he was composing chamber & instrumental music. In fact the Chandos cd of Scott's chamber music is the one I have played more than any other cd's of this composer. Lovely music.
By the way,does anyone know the current situation regarding his Harpsichord Concerto?

JeremyMHolmes

Also in this wave of releases from Dutton, don't miss the new Arthur Butterworth CD of his 5th Symphony and other shorter pieces. I do hope Dutton will manage to do they same for his symphonic cycle as they did for Arnell. I heard this piece premiered a few years ago in Studio 7 Manchester and loved it.

albion

I've also just ordered the Holbrooke and Foulds discs from Dutton: many thanks to Gareth for his outstanding practical contributions to the Holbrooke cause!

One problem - this means yet more music to squeeze into the listening schedule, and just as I was getting to grips with Hamerik, Langgaard, Raff, Rufinatscha ...

Gareth Vaughan

I can't take any direct credit for Dutton's enterprising new release of Holbrooke orchestral music. Peter Shore is the man behind this mouth-watering disk. But I did discuss the repertoire with conductor George Vass and helped to obtain some orchestral parts.

Pengelli

Thank you Peter Shore AND Gareth. I am really looking forward to it.

JimL

Is there a key for that cello concerto?  Or does he engage in progressive tonality?

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Monday 12 July 2010, 23:47
Is there a key for that cello concerto?  Or does he engage in progressive tonality?

According to http://www.musicweb-international.com/holbrooke/index.htm, if it's the 1936, E-flat, with the nickname "The Cambrian".
Eric

JimL

It's the Cambrian.  E-flat, eh?  Good key for a cello concerto.  May pick this one up.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Tuesday 13 July 2010, 04:50
It's the Cambrian.  E-flat, eh?  Good key for a cello concerto.  May pick this one up.

... for a moment I thought I'd misspelled it badly. Or something.
Cello concertos in E-flat...hrm...
Shostakovich 1.
Brian's. (which was the first to come to my mind. A weird piece. I like it quite a bit, though.)
Several by Vivaldi and Boccherini, I think.

JimL

Shosty 1 was the one in particular I had in mind.  Can you think of any 19th Century CCs in that key?

Alan Howe

Let's try to stay on topic, please. No lists of E flat Cello Concertos, please!!