Hugo Kaun chamber music

Started by Mark Thomas, Thursday 01 October 2015, 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Hot on the heels of my posting a performance of Kaun's Octet in our own Downloads board, MDG are releasing a CD of his chamber music: the Octet, a Piano Quintet and a String Quintet, played by the Berolina Ensemble. Details (but no sound bites yet) here.

eschiss1

odd.
I know of only one piano quintet and string quintet by Kaun- and one is an arrangement of the other, iirc. (Op.39, Op.28, see IMSLP?)
Not that recordings of compare-and-contrast are exactly unprecedented.

Berolina Ensemble

The piano quintet is an arrangement of his second string quintet. Hope you will like our CD...  :)

eschiss1

That I'd heard about, but- wasn't aware that there was a first string quintet; and I look forward to hearing the disc. Thanks!

Alan Howe

This is a superbly produced and played CD featuring some very interesting music. I am sure about two things: first, this is not particularly easy music (e.g. there are some adventurous harmonies here) but, secondly, it will definitely repay close study. The idiom reminds me a little of Wilhelm Berger and maybe early Reger.

It'd be fascinating to hear some of Kaun's orchestral music...

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I think we have or had an upload of his symphonic poem Sir John Falstaff. It's in any case @ YouTube here. A few of his orchestral works can also be heard in synthesized incomplete form here, including a movement from his first symphony. But I agree, of course.
(And the Markische suite is an arrangement of a piano work, so not maybe quite satisfying :) )

Alan Howe