Kozeluch Piano concertos

Started by Dr Gradus, Thursday 22 October 2015, 18:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Gradus

I realise that this is somewhat outside the avowed time period, but I thought people here might be interested to know that Howard Shelley and the London Mozart Players will be making a disc of Kozeluch piano concertos this coming December.

The concertos are no 1 in F, no 5 in E flat and number 6 in C.

As far as unsung classical period bods go, I have a soft spot for Kozeluch, as I do for Rosetti, and I am looking forward to recording these and discovering them for the first time.

Alan Howe

Well, it depends. If this is Leopold Kozeluch, then he lived until 1818. So it really depends when these concertos were written. Any idea?

Dr Gradus

Well, based on the numbers and the opus numbers (op.12 and 15 for the first 2; the C major seems to be unnumbered) I would sadly surmise that they are too early for you, sir, as I said in my first post. However, Howard is a keen explorer of this kind of repertoire, so if Hyperion are pleased and the orchestra manages to survive for long enough, we may get on to some later ones at some point. You may be sure I will keep you apprised if that happens.

Alan Howe

Quotethey are too early for you, sir

Not for me personally, sir. But for UC, certainly. Do let us know if and when some of his later concertos are recorded. They might be of more interest here.