More Moszkowski from Naxos!

Started by Martin Eastick, Tuesday 03 November 2015, 12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

Forthcoming from Naxos in their December releases is an enticing collection of Moszkowski works for violin and piano. The main interest here has to be the as-yet-unrecorded original works - Op16 Ballade and Bolero (the Ballade, of course, appears in its orchestral guise on the Hyperion release with the violin concerto played by Tasmin Little, and was recorded in LP days on a Polish Muza disc, in a version revised by the composer for violin and piano); and the 4 Morceaux Op82, which represent the composer at his best IMHO! This CD also includes the Suite Op71 for 2 violins & piano, but, as this work has now had several more than adequate outings in the recording studio, I feel that Naxos would have been better advised to include the composer's own version for a standard piano trio. which remains unrecorded. This then would also have provided the welcome opportunity to also include Moszkowski's 3 Pieces for cello and piano Op29, also still unrecorded, perhaps at the expense of (some of) the filler items, which are transcriptions by others of the Op12 Spanish Dances, Etincelles Op36 No6, Guitarre Op45 No2,  and Serenata Op15 No1.

Nevertheless, this is a must-buy for any Moszkowski enthusiast!

Rob H

Already on my shopping list. Now if they'd only get started on the piano music - reams still unrecorded!

jonfrohnen

I listened to this yesterday, a very charming and zesty album!