News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Fuchs Symphonies 1 & 2

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 01 January 2016, 00:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

MartinH

Surprising. I didn't think the previous recordings generated enough interest, not to mention sales, to make it worthwhile to record them again, especially with so much unrecorded repertoire still to go.

Alan Howe

Quotethe previous recordings

The ones on Thorofon? They're not very good, so this new release should be a great improvement. Hopefully!

eschiss1

? Reminder: A performance conducted by Steffens of symphony 2 can be heard in our archive and was noted at the time as being quite sufficiently better than the Thorofon to suggest that we, if not the slightly-larger "unsung-composer-consuming" community, had reason to look forward to a release like this; it doesn't come of nowhere...

Or so I seem to recall...

(If he conducts sym.3 - I recall he has done this also - at least as well as Botstein does (that recording can be purchased @ Amazon or iTunes, or heard, less legitimately, on YouTube; I admit I chose the latter route) then this could be a cycle to entirely replace the Thorofon, especially if he includes the two "fillers" and maybe more besides (music from the two operas?... oh well, I can -hope-.)

britishcomposer

Indeed, Eric.
I provided the download, a recording of a live broadcast. The conductor was interviewed and promised a complete cycle.
I am not sure if the cpo recording is an edited version of the concert performance.
Would it be better to remove the download?

Mark Thomas

We'll wait and see, but if it is the same performance then it'll be removed from UC,  yes.

eschiss1

Now mentioned on the front page of the cpo section of the website, recording date given as 2011, arrival date tomorrow (relative to today, not the permanent Tomorrow-as-in-never, I mean ; in Germany, I assume :) ). Didn't check when the link was posted at the beginning of the thread to see if sound samples were made available then, but they're there now...

Alan Howe

Thanks, Eric. My copy's on its way...

adriano

Tried to relisten those Fuchs Symphonies. Whoever will conduct them, it's quite boring music :-)

eschiss1

The CD's already out, then? How do the timings compare in symphony 2 then (in our upload the timings are, give or take a few seconds allowing for pauses between movements, 
13:08 (Allegro moderato, ma energico)
5:04 (Andante)
8:19 (Menuetto: Allegretto grazioso)
6:27 (Finale: Allegro giusto)

Well, even to Steffens in symphony 2 there's definitely works by Fuchs I prefer (his string quartets for instance, or for orchestra the Des Meeres overture even in Mussauer's performance) and of the symphonies I prefer the 3rd (especially as Botstein/ASO give it - rather better than Mussauer...), but haven't found the other 2 boring; still, de gustibus...

Alan Howe

Looks as though the performance of No.2 may be a different one

1. 18:01  (exposition repeat included???)
2.   5:01
3    8:05
4.   6:33

The recording date on the CD is given as 7th to 8th June 2011. Our upload has 7th June 2013 - but I don't trust cpo's proofreading, so who knows?

Mark Thomas

This CD is now available as a download and, my word, what an improvement these vigorous performances are over the old, bloodless ones from Thorofon. I can't say that I'm persuaded that this is great music (even on this evidence, Fuchs was at his best when writing for more modest ensembles), but at least these symphonies can now heard at their best.

Alan Howe

No, they're not great symphonies. But they are certainly thoroughly entertaining and often memorable. Nothing wrong with wandering the foothills when one doesn't fancy scaling the mountain peaks...

Mark Thomas

MartinH

The new CPO recording showed up yesterday - what a vast improvement over the Thorofons. No, not great music, but enjoyable on their own. They could make nice programming choices for amateur groups - easier than any of the Brahms or Tchaikovsky symphonies. Too bad the parts aren't on IMSLP.