Early Martinu Compositions on Toccata Classics

Started by jameswesthead, Monday 01 February 2016, 13:43

Previous topic - Next topic

jameswesthead

In reply to an email I sent them concerning their recordings of Martinu's early compositions (particularly the ballet "Istar", 1921), I received a reply from Martin Anderson saying that this sumptuously impressionistic early work is "on the horizon" but the next release 'in a few months time" will be the ballet "Stin" composed in 1916. For those who have only encountered the later works of Martinu, which are often chattery neo-classical or quite aggressive in style, the early works are an ear-opening surprise, and for me are richly enjoyable. Two suites from "Istar" have been recorded by Supraphon back in the mid 1970's (Jiri Waldhans, Brno Philharmonic, Supraphon 1101634) but have never been issued on CD. I have this on what memory tells me is a horribly crackly LP, dimly recorded to boot! 

jasthill

If you are so inclined go search the internet - somewhere someone posted a rip of the Supraphon Istar LP.  I still have my LP - couldn't bear to get rid of it - those Cold War era Supraphon LP's were so hard to come by.  They had a habit of printing the notes (in English) on the back of the sleeve in what must be pica 6pt font.  BTY, I notice Chandos has just released a Jarvi recording the the Špalíček Suites.  It looks like we are skating on the edge of the acceptable repertory for this form - anyway thanks to Toccata.