S. Wagner: An Allem ist Hutchen schuld

Started by mikehopf, Friday 05 February 2016, 22:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Revilod

O.K. Alan. I'll shut up now! Perhaps you'll come round one day. I persevered because I thought you bought the discs on my recommendation and your lukewarm response made me feel a bit guilty!

Alan Howe

Oh, don't feel guilty at all. I'm very glad to have your enthusiastic recommendation - and I will persevere. (It was on offer at jpc...)

Thanks for your reasoned arguments too; it's good to be able to have a robust, yet courteous disagreement!! Much appreciated.

mikehopf

"Sonnenflammen" is being broadcast on Swiss Internet Radio ( aka Radiocrazy!) on Thursday afternoon.

Whilst I agree that Humperdinck is the better composer, it is unfair to compare such a popular opera as Hansel & Gretel with a work that even few of our members would have heard. How many tunes from Raff's Benedetto Marcello or Humperdinck's Die Heirat wider Willen can Alan remember ? As far as good tunes go, just listen to Roman Trekel's singing Siegfried Wagner arias on cpo.... magical!

Alan Howe

I'll bet that Raff's opera has tunes galore! In any case, I didn't make any claims for Humperdinck's other operas, but he did at least compose one sublime masterpiece. I don't think SW did...

gene schiller

While Charpentier's Louise was universally praised for it's orchestration, the vocal writing was criticized as being 'ugly' - at least back in the early 1900s.  But, as you mentioned, a Thill or a Domingo can make it sound good.

Regarding Richard Strauss, he frequently stretches the voice beyond its natural limits, for my taste.

"An Allem ist Hutchen Schuld" is an adult's "Hansel und Gretel" and probably the only opera by Siegfried that bears any relation to Humperdinck.  The vocal writing for the heroine, Katherlieschen, is exquisite, but the performance with Anneli Pfeffer may be hard to find. I had to join the Siegfried Wagner Society to get it!

So, let's keep this within the realm of possibility:  Roman Trekel's S. Wagner recital should be available.  Sample the selections from Sonnenflammen, Die Heidenkonig, and Herzog Wildfang, and then tell me that Siegfried doesn't write beautifully for the voice.

"Die Heilige Linde" can be easily obtained - check out the duet for Autonoe & Arbogast in Act 2.  It's luscious!

Siegfried's grand scenas for soprano are equivalent to Wagner's, not only in length, but quality. 

1) Der Schmied von Marienburg: Act II - Friedlind's scene (Andrea Trauboth, soprano) - again, I had to purchase this from the SW Society, but Dagmar Schellenberger on CPO is almost as good.

2) Der Friedensengel: Act II - Mita's scene (20 minutes with chorus & Interlude)-Hanne Lore-Kuhse (available as part of the complete recording).

mikehopf

" I'll bet that Raff's opera has tunes galore! "

I've listened to it. It doesn't!

But the Humperdinck Die Heirat wider Willen does aplenty! It contains a really delightful whistling aria for tenor which although included in the commercial release sadly omits the whistling.

Alan Howe

Re: Charpentier's Louise:

QuoteBut, as you mentioned, a Thill or a Domingo can make it sound good.

That's because it is good!

Re: Raff's Benedetto Marcello and whether it has tunes:

QuoteI've listened to it. It doesn't!

I beg to differ - and I'm listening to it now. Within the first minute of the overture Raff's at it - writing tunes, that is. Raff is, after all, one of the great tunesmiths of the nineteenth century. Really, I don't know what you were listening to. Here's an expert summary of its character written by Volker Tosta who runs Edition Nordstern, publishers of the opera:

With its small cast and a story of frustrated love, this work - almost a chamber opera - is more reminiscent of Rossini or Donizetti than German high romanticism. The style of musical writing is in keeping with the subject matter - melodious, sunny and light of touch.
http://raff.org/music/detail/vocal/marcello.htm (emphasis added)

QuoteSiegfried's grand scenas for soprano are equivalent to Wagner's, not only in length, but quality.

Really? That's quite a claim. One with which I completely disagree.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteRoman Trekel's S. Wagner recital should be available.

Where, please? Can you provide a link? I don't see it on CPO.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

Aber bitte! I've ordered the two CDs of solo arias, so we'll see...

gene schiller

Re: Really? That's quite a claim....

Yes, it is...but, I think it will hold up in court.

Alan Howe

I think not, but let's leave this particular aspect of the discussion at that.