News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bortkiewicz VC

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 22 February 2016, 23:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Wow! I'd forgotten how long the VC is - just over 50 minutes! One of the longest in the repertoire...

Alan Howe

...and I've been listening to it this evening. And an absolutely wonderful wallow it is too. But it's surely too long. And yet, and yet....perhaps the gorgeously expansive purple passages could only exist in this monster format. Who knows? However, it's not an arduous listen - just the opposite, unlike, say, the Reger VC (magnificent though that is in its own way). No, this is designed to be - and maybe is - the ultimate romantic violin concerto. I urge everyone to get hold of this marvellously played recording and judge for yourselves.

Mark Thomas

That's all very persuasive, Alan, but I am worried about "it's surely too long". I'm afraid that my tolerance for self-indulgent wallowing is wearing pretty thin these days - it does seem to be quite a common failing amongst unsung composers that they don't know when to stop. Though that's not a charge I'd usually lay at Bortkiewicz's door, to be fair. Still, I'll give the VC a whirl, of course.

Alan Howe

It is too long. Neither of his symphonies come within ten minutes of his VC.

Ilja

I haven't hear this new recording, but the one available on Youtube (Anatoly Bazhenov / "Philharmonia" Academic Symphony Orchestra of Chernigov - Nikolai Sukach) is significantly more compact at just under 43 minutes. Is that the consequence of heavy cuts or just a brisker pace?

Alan Howe

No idea, sorry. Any experts out there..?

musiclover

Comparing the performances of Levitin and Bazhenov really is a non starter in my opinion. Having followed the score with both, Bazhenov not only makes some cuts, particularly in the long cadenza, he also simplifies the solo part in order to accommodate a faster tempo at times. I am left pondering on if there is a fault with the work, on the part of the composer, that makes it unplayable at high speed or if the composer intended that it should be played to the limit, playing exactly what he wrote and therefore limiting the speeds.....personally I think the Levitin approach is the right one. He has a masterful control of not only his considerable technique, but he also imbues the music with a feeling of momentum, even when it is not moving that quickly. I never once found myself thinking ' oh get on with it!' And was slightly surprised to see how long the work was when I looked at the clock at the end. I do not want to denigrate the Bazhenov performance too much, because for some long while it was the way I got into this work, but it really is beyond his ability and I think, that as we have found in the past in this site, a first rate player can make a neglected work as much as an inferior one can break it. I was in awe listening to Levitin, he doesn't put a foot wrong. There are no intonation issues and his articulation is first rate. Thanks to Dutton for finding him and for discovering Bortkiewicz for themselves. Maybe they will get Raphael Wallfisch to record the cello concerto. I will comment on Othello anon. If anyone is in doubt about buying this recording, don't be. It is a good one from Dutton.

Alan Howe

It's still too long, though. IMHO. But it's a lovely piece...

musiclover

Yes I think you're probably right Alan. Going through it yesterday though I was wondering where it could have been cut, and decided it really would have taken the composer to cut it and I'm glad we have this recording in its entirety.

Alan Howe