Dreyschock Piano music

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 27 February 2016, 09:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

This is not new. It has been around for about 10 years, though not always easily available.

Alan Howe

thalbergmad

Indeed a reissue. Whilst i am glad this exists, i rather wish it was performed on a better piano.

Pianists have barely scraped the surface with Dreyschock's solo piano music and with a little digging, there are some gems. I once attempted the sonata, but my forearms gave up.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

I couldn't agree more. The piano is not great and, although all the pieces played are very attractive I wish the pianist had chosen some more interesting and challenging works by the composer. I would love to hear a performance of the piano sonata. I have the music, but dare not even attempt it!!!

thalbergmad

5 sets with Djokovic would be less stressful on the forearms than the Dreyschock Sonata. It would take some pianist to pull it off, but to me it is a tendon tearer and way beyond my capabilities.

Dreyschock was capable of mediocrity, so perhaps that is what puts pianists off. However, as well as the fireworks, he certainly had his lyrical moments as the nocturne on said CD clearly demonstrates.

Thal

JimL

Frank Cooper, in his liner notes to the LP featuring the Raff concerto and Dreyschock Konzertstück, stated that the sonata had challenges worthy of a profession athlete.