"Fin de Siecle" - viola & piano works from Hyperion

Started by Sharkkb8, Friday 19 August 2016, 03:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

At the end of September, Hyperion is to release a disc of viola & piano pieces - some very-sung composers in there obviously, but a couple of new names as well - new to me anyway.  Played by Lawrence Power & Simon Crawford-Phillips.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Hyperion/CDA68165

soundbytes:  http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68165

Büsser:  Appassionato, Op. 34
Chausson:  Pièce Op. 39
Debussy:  Beau Soir
Durosoir:  Vitrail pour alto et piano
Enescu:  Concertstück for viola & piano
Hahn, R:  Soliloque et Forlane for viola & piano
Honore:  Morceau de concert
Hue:  Thème varié
Ravel:  Deux mélodies hébraïques: Kaddisch
Vierne, L:  Deux Pièces Op. 7

Alan Howe

Yes, I'd spotted this too. Wondered if it was a trifly 'bitty' as a programme...

Gareth Vaughan

No more so, I would say, than a disk of piano miniatures by various composers. Hyperion have given me an advance copy but I haven't played it yet. Will let you know what I think when I have.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

I have just listened to this CD and can report that the pieces are all IMHO good. There is a strong whiff of the salon about them - as one would expect - but the Appassionato by Busser, the Theme varie by Georges Hue, the Morceau de Concert by Leon Honnore and the Concertstuck by George Enescu are pretty substantial. All are well wrought and are characterised by attractive and melodious writing. An enjoyable programme, very well played by both artists.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Who's Durosoir? I've heard of Huë but not this coloristic Hue person. The others (maybe not Honore/Honoré?) I've at least heard of if not heard... it seems a program this ex-violist might look forward to :)

Critical tip re dia-critics: if looking for a é and your keyboard doesn't have it, websearch for a page that has the "right" spelling of the person's name, copy-paste... and hopefully Bob will add you to his list of nephews and nieces.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

That's right, Alan. But also one can insert a symbol in Word from a drop down menu which has hundreds of special characters including diacritics.

jdperdrix

QuoteWho's Durosoir?
See the entry on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucien_Durosoir
Lucien Durosoir (1878-1955) was active as a composer from 1920 to 1950.
His music is more impressionist than romantic, even almost atonal sometimes. His chamber music has been published by Alpha (4 CD's).His piano sonata ("Aube") has been recorded by Daniel Gardiole on a CD called "L'aube des siècles" published by L'Algarade.

petershott@btinternet.com

It is worth adding he started as a gifted violinist having studied with Joachim. Before WW1 he introduced many French chamber works to Germany and in turn introduced the Strauss violin concerto to France. An accident at the end of the war ended his career, and from then he turned to composition - largely of chamber works - working in isolation and away from all mainstream developments in early 20th century music. The music is utterly distinctive and can't be called 'impressionistic' or even 'romantic'. Of possible interest to Eric, who raised the question, there are three string quartets of 1920, 1922, and 1934 and a piano quintet of 1925. I hold all these works in high regard and have become very fond of them. I was privileged to hear a private performance by a young string quartet in London last year and that was a wonderfully memorable experience. But, alas, I fear further discussion of Durosoir here would induce a state of apoplexy amongst those who manage the site.

Alan Howe

Many thanks, Peter, for clarifying where Durosoir stands.

Mark Thomas

Your fears are ungrounded - not a hint of apoplexy!

Alan Howe

Or even unfounded  ;)
Nit-pickingly yours,
Alan the Unapoplectic

semloh

Music promising
pity about the cover
but, who cares, not me

Alan's brevity
prompted me to comment
in a roughly Haiku style