3rd Granados orchestral cd from Naxos

Started by Sharkkb8, Friday 16 September 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

A while back the Dante symphonic poem was discussed - that was the second of a 3-disc Naxos cycle of Granados orchestral works.  Turns out the 3rd disc has arrived under the radar, at least under *my* radar.  Works:  Liliana Lyric Poem, Suite Oriental, and Elisenda.  Naxos's promotional blurb:

In the last of his three volume series devoted to Granados's orchestral music, two very different compositional strands are explored. The early Suite oriental reveals his sense of vivid orchestral color and melodic imagination, couched in the exotic language of the time. Written in a more pared-down style, the one-act "lyric poem" Liliana, a collaboration with the writer Apelles Mestres, is a four-movement suite in which Granados conjures up a vivid, mythical world. Elisenda is another impressionistic score, both emotive and ethereal, here performed in its arrangement for piano and chamber orchestra.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Catalog?catalog_num=8573265

Alan Howe

Hmm. I haven't been greatly impressed so far. Is the music any good?

Sharkkb8

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 16 September 2016, 22:27
Is the music any good?

Well, if you're asking *me*.....I don't know.  I wondered if maybe a little discussion might be generated here, by folks with more knowledge & experience than I possess, to help me decide whether or not to take the plunge.  ::)

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

I really enjoy the first two discs, and certainly will buy the third one. From the samples I sampled I especially like the Suite Oriental, but I'm a sucker for colorful exoticism as it were.

sdtom

Agree with TerraEpon. I found the oriental suite nice to listen to and the other too were music I don't understand.
Tom