Mascagni's Guglielmo Ratcliff (Wexford 2015) CD release on RTÉ lyric fm label

Started by patmos.beje, Wednesday 26 October 2016, 18:40

Previous topic - Next topic

patmos.beje

See:  http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwopera/article/Critically-Acclaimed-2015-Opera-Guglielmo-Ratcliff-in-Association-with-Wexford-Festival-Opera-Released-on-CD-20161025

and: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/RT%25C3%2589%2BLyric/CD152

iTunes Store has a projected release date of 28th October.  However, as I made my own recordings from last year's (BBC Radio 3) broadcast - as others will have done - a remixed CD is to be welcomed by admirers of Mascagni.  This performance, in my view, is better than the other CD recordings which have been issued.

Alan Howe

BerlinExpat

It was available in the Wexford Opera House this evening, price €14.99. Don't forget over 400 bars were cut!

adriano

Oh dear :-(
Is the (excellent) RAI recording of 1963, conducted by Armando La Rosa Parodi, in this case more complete?

patmos.beje

QuoteOh dear :-(
Is the (excellent) RAI recording of 1963, conducted by Armando La Rosa Parodi, in this case more complete?'
Based on the times appearing on my iTunes (a rip of a CD of the RAI Rome version with Pier Miranda Ferraro and the 4 Acts from the Wexford broadcast) the RAI version has a total running time of about 117 minutes whereas the Wexford version runs at 113 minutes (both approximations). Given possible variations in tempo that will not answer your question.  Only a comparison of the score against the respective recordings will.

However, in terms of sound quality (based on the broadcast not the RTÉ remixed CD) and the tenor - Angelo Villari at Wexford - the Wexford version, in my opinion, wins hands down when compared to 4 other versions I am aware of (RAI Rome 1963, Livorno 1984, New York 2003 (not issued on commercial CD or DVD) and Livorno 1995).  Until the Wexford performance the RAI Rome performance was the best.  So far as I can recall both the Livorno versions exclude the chorus in the final scene and the in the New York version the tenor singing Ratcliff, in the same scene at a very dramatic moment, comes in before the orchestra seriously marring the effect.

Alan Howe

The sound quality on the new set is perfectly acceptable, but certainly not the highest of hi-fi. It has a rather muffled character (strings especially) and there is an annoying background rustle when the music pauses. However, the music's the thing here and no-one should seriously hesitate before buying, especially when there's so much splendid singing on offer.

patmos.beje

A release well worth having and nicely packaged. A major upside is the libretto in Italian and English (there being no English translation in the other CD versions of the Opera). The downside - comparatively minor but a disappointment for me -  is the libretto is missing a section of the final scene. So Guglielmo's last exclamation - a highly dramatic and effective moment in the score (the moment I mention above  is marred in the New York concert version of the Opera) is missing leaving me not knowing what it is about.

If I have the time I may look at the Italian libretto from an alternative recording and type the missing section into Google translate!

eschiss1

Trying to work out the word divisions from the published vocal score, from the relevant IMSLP page, starting bottom of p.265 and assuming this is what you're talking about? (Then enter into Google of course?...)
"Morte e la serpe velenosa. Un peso si mi leva dal cor.  Già della pace le dolcezze pregusto. Or mia per sempre è Maria! Fine ha qui la mia giornata. O Maria, vengo a te!
O Maria, soave Maria, son qui - vengo a te - Maria..."