News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Youth Symphony

Started by sdtom, Saturday 14 August 2010, 13:48

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

While I was doing a bit of cleaning I stumbled upon this old Vox recording of Rachmaninoff's D Minor Youth Symphony. While Sergei in no way is unsung I feel that this work is and after listening to it three times I found it to be a pleasant enough experience. The recording is with the Saint Louis and Leonard Slatkin. It was composed 3 years before his 1st Symphony in the same D minor key.
Thomas :)

mbhaub

You're right about the symphony: there's plenty to enjoy, masterpiece it is not. Rachmaninoff wrote a lot of music that is relatively unknown, and too many critics dismiss them entirely. Prince Rostislov, Caprice Boheme and the three operas are works I thoroughly enjoy. Fortunately, there are conductors willing to take them on. Ashkenazy's Exton recordings with the the D minor symphony and Price Rostislov are marvelous, and sound much better than the older Vox. He may be a "cool" Rach conductor, but that sacd sound!!!

Pengelli

I think the Ashkenazy performances of the Rachmaninov symphonies with the Concertgebouw are some of the best performances of any music, I have ever heard on record. They are so fiery,yet the emotion he brings out in the slow movement of No 2 is so intense it has my eyes welling with tears. (Although,I don't actually cry,as some people claim to do,when they listen to Mahler,for example!) The musicians play like demons in the finale. The playing is phenomenal.
The Muti recordings of the Scriabin symphonies are another one. They just 'grab you'. You just have to listen through all the way to the end.       
And,oh dear,I've just remembered the Rachmaninov symphonies aren't exactly 'unsung'! (Although,the first three Scriabin's have never really had their due)
But Ashkenazy's Rachmaninov,'cool'?!

sdtom

I may look into an improvement on the Youth Symphony. Which one would you recommend? The lp has seen better days I agree.
Thomas :)

Alan Howe

sdtom

sdtom

mbhaub

Quote from: Pengelli on Saturday 14 August 2010, 16:33
I think the Ashkenazy performances of the Rachmaninov symphonies with the Concertgebouw are some of the best performances of any music, I have ever heard on record. ...But Ashkenazy's Rachmaninov,'cool'?!

The Concertgebouw recordings are much more "fiery" than the newer Exton ones made with the Sydney Symphony. Maybe they just can't give him as much, or maybe he's mellowed. But even in his early Rach concerto set he played at a much more intellectual level than others. Ashkenazy is in some ways like Maazel, Slatkin, and several others in that he can't just let it go; the music is always under control. There's nothing wrong with it. But his Rach just never goes over the top like others. Exton has another Rach symphony set with Edo de Waart, who already gave us a fine set on Philips. His 2nd may be one of the best I've ever heard. But the sound they get for Ashkenazy is simply spectacular, and reason alone to own it. The set is pretty expensive if you buy it from some outlets, even well-known ones, but certain booksellers have it for about $50.

Amphissa

I have the recordings by Ashkenazy with the Concertgebouw, Noseda with the BBC Philharmonic, Slatkin with the St. Louis Symphony, and de Waart with RPO Holland.

I consider Ashkenazy's recording of the Youth Symphony with the Concertgebouw to be the best of those.

sdtom

you all seem to be in agreement on this one

Jonathan

I've got a recording by Denis Matsuev of a suite for orchestra in D minor, from 1891 arranged for piano by the composer.  Does anyone know anything about the original orchestral version?

TerraEpon

Quote from: Jonathan on Sunday 22 August 2010, 18:21
I've got a recording by Denis Matsuev of a suite for orchestra in D minor, from 1891 arranged for piano by the composer.  Does anyone know anything about the original orchestral version?

Yes. It's lost. It's /thought/ that it's the same piece as "Manfred", but no one is quite positive.

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/youth-symphony-in-d-minorrachmaninoff/ I just had a couple of listens to the BIS recording with the Scottish National Orchestra and it is a nice reading. I'm really enjoying this work.

sdtom