Zandonai Francesca da Rimini

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 14 August 2010, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Fans of Schreker may be interested in hearing how his idiom (together with those of, say, Strauss and Debussy) is introduced into the late-verismo world of Riccardo Zandonai. If you don't know his opera Francesca da Rimini, you ought to! Unavailable on CD in anything except old recordings in dreadful sound, its best modern rendering is on a DVD from the New York Met with Renata Scotto and Placido Domingo.
I was forcefully reminded of these musical connections having attended London's Opera Holland Park production of the opera last night. It was a stunning show, with a strong performance from Cheryl Barker in the title role and excellent contributions from Julian Gavin (tenor) as Paolo, Jeffrey Lloyd-Roberts (tenor) as a repulsive one-eyed Malatestino and Jeffrey Black (his baritone now somewhat addled, but in character) as the dastardly, deformed Gianciotto. I had read some reviews which were rather sniffy about the music, but I, along with the pretty-well full house, was absolutely captivated. Nigh-on three hours, including interval, absolutely flashed by.
If you don't know the opera, do try it!

albion

Yes, Zandonai is yet another composer who's largely disappeared off the radar, through no fault of his own. I obtained the Met DVD recording in its earlier incarnation (Pioneer Classics), but now it is more widely available on DG (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Francesca-Da-Rimini-Zandonai-Levine/dp/B000PC1N40/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281818604&sr=8-2). Levine treats the score with the full-blooded response that it deserves and the staging is typically sumptuous.

Zandonai was a fascinating and supremely gifted composer of opera. There are other works to explore: L'ucellino d'oro (1907),  Il grillo del focolare (1908), Conchita (1911), Giulietta e Romeo (1922), I cavalieri di Ekebu (1925) and Il bacio (1944). Recordings of these (including some DVDs) are available from http://www.operaaddiction.com/

Amphissa

The only recording I've ever heard/seen of Zandonai's Francesca is a video (digital ripped from VHS taped from TV broadcast) of a performance at Teatro Colon in 2000. I haven't watched it in a very long time. I like the music, but I'm not getting the complete experience. I did not grow up with opera. Even if I can sorta/kinda understand a language, I often cannot understand what is being sung, which drives me nuts if I don't have an English translation of the libretto or English subtitles. So I really need a version with English subtitles. Seeing that there is a remastered DVD of the MET/Levine production, I think I'll have to get that one.

This also reminds me that I have an old 1950s era recording of Zandonai's Concerto andaluso per violoncello e piccola orchestra. Haven't listened to that for awhile either.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Albion on Saturday 14 August 2010, 21:54
Yes, Zandonai is yet another composer who's largely disappeared off the radar, through no fault of his own. I obtained the Met DVD recording in its earlier incarnation (Pioneer Classics), but now it is more widely available on DG (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Francesca-Da-Rimini-Zandonai-Levine/dp/B000PC1N40/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281818604&sr=8-2). Levine treats the score with the full-blooded response that it deserves and the staging is typically sumptuous.

Zandonai was a fascinating and supremely gifted composer of opera. There are other works to explore: L'ucellino d'oro (1907),  Il grillo del focolare (1908), Conchita (1911), Giulietta e Romeo (1922), I cavalieri di Ekebu (1925) and Il bacio (1944). Recordings of these (including some DVDs) are available from http://www.operaaddiction.com/

Any idea what the source of these recordings is?

Kriton

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 14 August 2010, 18:51
Fans of Schreker may be interested in hearing how his idiom (together with those of, say, Strauss and Debussy) is introduced into the late-verismo world of Riccardo Zandonai. If you don't know his opera Francesca da Rimini, you ought to! Unavailable on CD in anything except old recordings in dreadful sound, its best modern rendering is on a DVD from the New York Met with Renata Scotto and Placido Domingo.
I have this - I remember my astonishment as to DGG issuing the opera. I had been looking for more Zandonai since his nice string quartet on Dynamic and his rather beautiful violin concerto "romantico" on CPO. Perhaps the cello concerto "andaluso", of which a recording from the 50's was mentioned, would be something for the nearly deceased Hyperion Romantic Cello Concerto Series - coupled with something else Italian, say Pizzetti's C major cello concerto... Neither I know, but I'd really like to hear them!

Pengelli

Kriton

Revilod

Yes, I've always been a fan of "I Cavalieri di Ekebu" since I taped it from a radio broadcast many years ago. The music is uneven but there is some splendidly passionate music in Act 1 and the knights' song is infuriatingly catchy!

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 15 August 2010, 12:38

I couldn't say for certain, but I assume that they are predominantly off-air recordings. Mainland European radio stations seem to take a pride in the broadcasting of obscure repertoire when it is performed - no derogatory comparison with our own beloved BBC intended, of course.

eschiss1

Quote from: Albion on Sunday 15 August 2010, 20:04
Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 15 August 2010, 12:38

I couldn't say for certain, but I assume that they are predominantly off-air recordings. Mainland European radio stations seem to take a pride in the broadcasting of obscure repertoire when it is performed - no derogatory comparison with our own beloved BBC intended, of course.
Try comparing either BBC Radio 3 or European stations with practically any classical station in the United States...