News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Classical Music Magazines

Started by Kevin Pearson, Saturday 06 June 2009, 04:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Pearson

Not sure where to put this as neither category seems to fit.

I was wondering is any of the members have subscriptions to any classical music magazines and what they think are the best? I have not subscribed to a magazine in years. I used to subscribe to Ovation Magazine in the 1980s but it went defunct long ago. I kind of wish it was still going as I really enjoy reading it. Perhaps because it was a little less technical and had good interviews and articles. I'm quite familiar with Gramophone and the BBC magazines but both are little pricey. Any off the beaten track type mags that anyone can recommend?

Kevin

Mark Thomas

International Record Review is a little UK gem. It's what the Gramophone used to be. Straightforward, open-minded reviews and serious features about composers and recordings. None of the flashy celeb stuff which Gramophone has espoused. It's available on subscription, although I don't know what the US cost would be.

I enjoy reading American Record Guide and Fanfare when I visit the US, but they're far too expensive to buy regularly over here.

Alan Howe

Like Mark, I read IRR - it's much better than Gramophone in that its reviews are in greater depth. It also reviews releases of more unusual repertoire (e.g. the Dietrich works on cpo) which its rival won't touch.

Otherwise I agree that Fanfare is excellent - but very expensive to subscribe to from the UK. I gave up my subscription for that reason. It's also very bulky to keep, being in a paperbook book format.

Amphissa

I really got to the point where I just did not like Gramophone, so I dropped that. I still subscribe to BBC Music, but it is more just out of habit. I don't really like it much and every issue I receive, I ask myself why I'm still subscribing. Maybe it's the pictures.

Personally, the mags I like best are American Record Guide and Fanfare. Not slick with lots of pictures, no advertising, no fluff. I occasionally pick up an issue of International Record Review, but have never subscribed because of the price.

http://www.americanrecordguide.com/

http://www.fanfaremag.com/

mbhaub

Currently, I'm taking BBC Music, Gramophone, International Record Review, and American Record Guide. I think they all have their place. It's easy for people to disparage Gramophone and BBC, but I have read reviews there that I haven't seen in IRR! They also have hardware reviews which I do read. And for what it's worth, the British publications are very pricey over here as far as these things go. I've been reading ARG it seems forever. I really like the focus on music. And no one has as many reviews! Sometimes the reviewers get too detailed. They often seem to want to write a composer biography. But sometimes all I want is: is this a good or better performance? is the recorded sound really good, and maybe how it compares to other versions available? If it's music I've never heard of, I want to know if I'd enjoy it. That's one thing the old Ovation magazine had that I miss: a quick ranking.

I read Fanfare, which is expensive, at the nearby library. It's good, too. There used to be other good magazines like Stereo Review and Hi-Fidelity which had great classical reviews, but slowly gave it up. Too bad, but things change.

There are some online reviewers like Classicstoday.com that are useful. Maybe we should start a new thread here of reviews. But, and this is just me preaching, all classical devotees should subscribe to something! We're a small enough population as is, and I'd hate to see another classical mag close down because of lack of interest.

Alan Howe

Ilja

Strangely, over here subscribing to IRR or Fanfare is rather more expensive than buying separate issues, so I'm usually doing that. Gramophone is different, but I don't like their overall attitude.

MusicWeb is fine, although the site, really, really needs an overhaul.

Kevin Pearson

Thanks for all the replies! I was not aware of the two online review sites, and you are right Ilja MusicWeb does need a serious overhaul. Very outdated visually. I have perused copies of Fanfare in the past but have not seen American Record Guide. I might have to try a year subscription and see if I like it.

Anyway, your recommendations and comments are much appreciated.  :)

Kevin

John H White

I must say that, nowadays I seldom buy music magazines, since I get so much up to date information from this forum and its predecessors. I used to regularly download the monthly Records International Catalogue but, even though I found it full of interesting reviews of the latest CDs of lesser known music available in the USA, it turned out to be too much of a chore printing out a couple of dozen pages every month on my elderly snail paced printer. Nevertheless, if it is still going, I would recommend it over and above any of the ready printed magazines I have seen in recent years.