Fritz Brun CDs on GUILD

Started by adriano, Thursday 13 July 2017, 09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

Thanks, Yaskovsky

It's not as "very favourable" as that: the author says that I - and all the soloists (!) - did not bring out enough "colour" in our interpretations. And that we could have been more "flexible". Which I both strongly disapprove.
Aart van der Wal apparently expects music from an extravert and "big orchestra" composer like Strauss or Respighi - an does no realize that Brun's concerns were all other than that. And that his orchestra formation is mostly Brahms-sized! In his Symphonies, the only percussion instruments are timpani; and there is no triangle, no harp, no celesta etc.
This review is unfair - although the author writes a lot of useful info about Brun and his time (from where elase he could get it than from my 164-page booklet?) - but this is not the real purpose of a CD review.
He also says that, compared to the historical bonus CD included, I have a better control of the orchestra than Brun (who is conducting there). Brun worked many times with the Swiss Radio Orchestra; and he was active from 1909 until 1941 with his regular Berne Symphony, with whom he gave over 250 concerts.
As a reviewer, I would never dare to affirm such things on music unknown to me before having consulted the scores - and, realizing that those Brun scores are hardly available - I would therefore not issue such a global judgement of a 10-CD box! Like many other reviewers he may perhaps just listened to bits and pieces...
Will come back later with more criticism. I only refer to the last paragraphs of this review, which have been translated into German so far. A full translation is being made.
It's frustrating to be confronted with such superficial critcism - considering that I was seriously involved in this project from 2003 until 2015 - and that I am still working daily on this composer.
My Fritz Brun video documentary (now at its end state) will have a duration of over 2 1/2 hours. It will not be for public viewing, but a kind of "biography with pictures and audio" for personal - or didactical use. It will not be released commercially - otherwise I would have to pay a fortune of music and pictures copyright fees.
At my age of 75 I can certainly look back to an interesting CD conducting career, but it was all other than a finacially rewarding one. The only satisfaction one can get, are some positive reviews and personal reactions from friends and admirer. But nobody takes into consideration struggles and disappointments experienced with CD company bosses.
And now it looks as nobody wants me anymore, since I am unable to raise more sponsorships. Luckily, I still can enjoy listening to music and studying scores - the only thing keeping me alive in this world, which is getting crazier day by day.

M. Yaskovsky

I'm sorry for using 'favourable'; my native Dutch is far better than my English or German; my Russian is basic. By using 'favourable' I thought of the Dutch word 'gunstig'. A positive word because the reviewer encourages potential customers to have a look at this release. OpusKlassiek is, in my opnion, the only serious website in Dutch about classical music in general. They comment on releases far and wide, sure not middle-of-the-road, f.i. the Winbeck cd-set just released. They happen to be Bruckner-crazy and I'm happy they made a case for Brun too.

adriano

Thanks, Yaskovsky :-)
Of course "gunstig" is still a miracle today for a maverick conductor with no concert-hall appearances like I am - doing such strange repertoire. The author could have been more cruel - and with cruel judgements I had to deal a lot in the past. The problem is that, with unknown repertoire, a reviewer often finds the music or the interpretation not good enough because he simply has no idea, or, more simply, it's not of his taste.

Alan Howe

Forget the review, Adriano. It's not worthy of your attention. Be assured that your Brun project is fully worthy of the music it is promoting.

adriano

Thanks very much, Alan :-)
In the meantime I could learn from a friend that the originally designated reviewer of OpusKlassiek had refused to write, since he apparently couldn't do anything with Brun's music. Aart van der Wal was more than happy to take the Brun box out from his hands.
Now I am all in suspense of whatever may be coming from over the Ocean - after remembering some earlier sentences by David Hurwitz & Co...

Alan Howe

I think we have to be aware that Brun's music requires careful listening - it doesn't immediately reveal its secrets. Any reviewer who rushes into print or has a tight deadline to meet will almost certainly miss the essence of the music. Brun takes time to appreciate...