A single symphonic movement that is great fun

Started by DennisS, Tuesday 24 August 2010, 10:39

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Every so often, I come across a symphony in which one of the movements stands out more than the others and often can be listened to on its own. The characteristics of this type of movement, that appeals particularly to me are humour, goodnaturedness, brio and elan. In a nutshell, a movement that is a real joy to listen to, i.e. great fun. I can think of a couple of such movements from, for example, some of the Raff symphonies, but in this instance, I have been particularly taken with the second movement of the Rubinstein symphony no 2 ( sorry - yet another reference to Rubinstein!!!!). It's 7 :25 min go by in a twinkle and it's very easy to want to listen to the movement several times in succession. Listening to this movement really does put a smile on my face. Do other members have suggestions of movements which fall into this category?

Cheers
Dennis

DennisS

Sorry

Re-reading my post, I noted that I said Rubinstein's symphony no 2, second movement. That obviously should have read Rubinstein's symphony number five!!!!!

apologies for typo!

Dennis

Hofrat

I think that the finale of Raff's 9th symphony "Im Summer" would fit that bill.  Another would be the finale of Dvorak's 6th symphony (tjough he is not unsung).

Mark Thomas

Eschewing Raff for a change, my nomination is the opening movement of Dvorak's Third (although the whole work is a joy).

sdtom

I certainly cast a vote for the 3rd movement of the 4th symphony of Tchaikovsky

FBerwald

It will HAVE to be Raff - Symphony No 3 in F major 'Im Walde / In the Forest' IInd movement - Largo (In der
Dämmerung / In the Twilight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHkkxTgsV1o

Amphissa

My choice would be the Scherzo (2nd movement) of Bruckner's 9th. What a ride of contrasts. Good natured brio? Well, maybe not. But what fun!  (My wife says that, if Jimi Hendrix had been born a hundred years earlier, he would have composed music like this.)

Okay, Bruckner is far from unsung. For a movement by an unsung, I'd go with the 1st movement of Myaskovsky's 5th symphony. That delightful opening melody leads to a world of possibilities.

Peter1953

Quote from: DennisS on Tuesday 24 August 2010, 10:39
sorry - yet another reference to Rubinstein!!!!
No need to say sorry if you refer to the appealing Rubinstein, Dennis.   ;D

I'll vote for the 2nd movement of Shostakovich 5th. This Allegretto is short, powerful, surprising, fresh and funny. BTW, what a stupendous contrast with the third movement.

eschiss1

It's hard to choose just one even here :( I agree with many of the choices already (and yes including the Bruckner).
Evgeny Golubev's 5th symphony (alas not yet CD-ified) has a very, very puckish scherzo. (Puckish scherzi when good can be very good and very fun true. Several Russians and Soviets had a dab hand at those, apologies for poor grammar!)
Two others I might choose-
*Scherzo of Brian's Gothic. A whole lot going on there, carrying you along, xylophone cadenza, ...
*Finale of Stenhammar's (acknowledged) symphony. ... impressive sort of wow! :)
(Not at all reaching for objective judgments here...)
Eric

Alan Howe

Zemlinsky in B flat, first movement. Corrrrrrrrr!

Langtons Aunt

The Scherzo of Czerny's Symphony no. 2. (Op. 781!)

JimL

Sung: 3rd movement scherzo from Beethoven's 3rd Symphony.
Semi-sung: 3rd movement scherzo from Dvorak's 5th Symphony.
Unsung: 2nd movement scherzo from Raff's 4th Symphony.

Revilod

How about that fabulous scherzo in Glazunov's 3rd Symphony? An extraordinary tour-de-force. The first movement is also a fine piece but the slow movement and the finale in particular are not in the same class, I think.

Ilja

My vote would go to the first movement of Herzogenberg's 2nd Symphony (I always got the feeling that the 1st and 4th ought to be swapped). The finale from Zemlinsky's 2nd or (even more so) Reznicek's 5th would do the trick, too.

edurban

Last movement of Glazunov 5.  A real barn-burner!  I heard it at Carnegie Hall once with
Lawrence Foster conducting and I thought the audience would tear the place up at the end.  Furore, as the Italians say!

David