Romantic Piano concerto series

Started by Rob H, Tuesday 25 August 2015, 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

With the info about Boyle and Hill we have covered 3 future releases in this series:

Boyle and Hill concertos - Piers Lane
Beach, Chaminade (?) and Hopekirk - ?
Rozycki 2 concertos and Ballade - Jonathan Plowright.

Has news of anything else seeped through?

thalbergmad

Moszkowski Op.3 and Schulz Evler Rhapsody, the latter of which is a World premier and something that i have been looking forward to for yonks.

Thal

FBerwald

Is it confirmed that the Schulz-Evler Rhapsody is the pairing for Moszkowski Op.3 ?

Rob H

I really hope the Schulz-Evler is on there! I gave a photocopy of it to Mike years ago in the hope that a suitable coupling would happen along. I forgot to add the Moszkowski to the list - of course Ludmil recorded it a couple of months ago.
Rob

giles.enders

The concerto featuring Beach and Chaminard has as the third item Dorothy Howell's concerto and not Hopekirk.  There was a hitch with the latter. The idea is that items should seep through can be unhelpful as there are always competitors wishing to jump in first as with Hopekirk for example.

Gareth Vaughan

So has the Hopekirk been recorded by another company?

Rob H

I wasn't aware that there had been a problem with companies trouncing other company's recordings of rarely-recorded works. I assumed that instances like the Melcer from Hyperion and Acte Prealable or Widor and Godard from Hyperion and Dutton were more co-incidence than direct "I hear they've recorded such and such - let's get in first". Am I being naïve?

eschiss1

Does anyone know (e.g.! and, vice versa) whether a significant number of people at Hyperion regarded it as a problem that Dutton's recording of Widor's piano concertos (as part of their series of his orchestral works) was issued in the same year that Hyperion's recording of his concertos in their RPC series?

Gareth Vaughan

I should think they did. It was bound to dilute sales. I remember Klaus Heymann writing at a time when Marco Polo's CD of Gliere's 3rd symphony came out at about the same time that the Chandos CD was released and a recording by another company, that none of them would recoup their recording costs from sales. This is the problem with rare repertoire. Having more than one performance available on CD is a good thing from a critical and artistic standpoint, but it makes no sense at all commercially.

navy.p@voila.fr

Another double : Rozycki  (1883-1953) ballade and first cto already recorded in Poland (CD Acte Préalable APO217)

Rob H

True but whilst this may have been issued to preempt Hyperion's plans they are old recordings (1984 and 1990 I believe) and more significantly, don't include the second concerto. This gives them a short running time of just over 42 mins.
Not that I don't have respect for Acte Prealable - Their catalogue is impressive and in the field I'm interested in - piano - they have given us solo works by Fontana, Melcer, Rozycki, Pachulski and Zelenski to name but a few. I'm very much looking forward to hearing the two Zelenski CDs which should arrive in the next few days.

Gareth Vaughan

I doubt if Jan at Acte Prealable knew of Hyperion's plans. It wouldn't have been issued to preempt Hyperion anyway - Jan is not that sort of person. Indeed, at the time when Jan told me he was considering releasing these older recordings I don't think Hyperion had announced their plans for Rozycki.

Rob H

I never considered, and don't consider that it might be the case. It is comments on this thread that have you second guessing.
I am really pleased about the Rozycki. I heard the Ballade many, many years ago and had always wondered what the concerrtos were like. The first is very different to the Ballade but still a glorious romantic work. Looking forward to hearing the second (I'm avoiding listening to the YouTube link of the 2nd; I recall hearing a bit in awful sound and I don't want that to affect my enjoyment).

dmitterd

From Simon Callaghan's website: "I am very pleased to announce that my recording of concertos by Bernhard Scholz and Josef Rheinberger will be released as Volume 76 of Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concerto Series on June 29th 2018. More information here...

cheers,
Daniel

eschiss1

The other music I've seen by Scholz (eg chamber works with and without piano) makes me hope that any interest in his music will not stop here :)