Gounod's "Le tribut de Zamora"

Started by DK, Monday 29 January 2018, 05:06

Previous topic - Next topic

DK

I am annoyed at having missed Sunday's live broadcast of Gounod's "Le tribut de Zamora" from Munich.  Did anyone hear this?  I hope it will be available on demand but failing that will have to hope for a recording.
DK

BerlinExpat

All is not lost, DK. I've had it marked in my diary for months. See the downloads file!

semloh

Thank you for doing that, Colin. Gounod is always a treat, and I'm sure many members of UC will be delighted.

Mark Thomas

DK

Thank you so much!  It's a work completely unfamilar to me and I could have kicked myself for forgetting to tune in.
DK

DK

As it turns out, BR-Klassik has made this available on demand, at as least as of this afternoon when I checked.  There is also a detailed programme available at:  https://www.rundfunkorchester.de/media/Programmheft-3.-Sonntags-2017-2018.pdf (in German).
DK

mikehopf

Thanks Colin!

What a wonderful month for rare Gounod with Ediciones Singulares new double CD of three unpublished cantatas: Marie Stuart & Rizzio; Fernand & La Vendetta + two sacred masses. Free downloads for all us lucky Qobuz subscribers.

scottevan

I, too had been looking forward to the broadcast since first hearing about it months ago. I missed the first 20 minutes, but am now catching up on that thanks to the archived recording:

https://www.br-klassik.de/themen/klassik-entdecken/muenchner-rundfunk-orchester-charles-gounod-le-tribut-de-zamora-100.html

Rare it may be, but it's a treat for those of us who can't get enough French grand opera. All you'd expect from mature Gounod:  marvelous orchestration, abundant melody, stirring ensembles and a sure sense of theater.

DK

Should anyone have missed the BR-Klassik broadcast, it has been re-broadcast on OE1 and should be available for one week:
https://oe1.orf.at/programm/20180609/518138

DK

Ebubu

According to the PBZ 2018-19 brochure, it will be issued as a 2 CD album in Sept 2018, followed by Le Timbre d'Argent (Saint-Saëns) in Jan 2019, Olimpie by Spontini, and a new Perichole (Offenbach).

Mark Thomas

What a bundle of good things that news is. Three cheers for the Pallazetto Ben Zane!

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

My goodness, this is a magnificent opera, wonderfully sung and conducted here. Just as one thinks Gounod can no longer manage a tune à la Faust, along come half a dozen to put that particular canard out of its misery! Of course, this is grand opera, so one expects drama - and there's plenty of that too. The world of Verdi (Aida, Otello) often feels just a few musical steps away.

Sell your shirt and buy this superlative production!

Ebubu

"Three cheers for the Pallazetto Ben Zane!"
At least 3 ! ;D

In the months / year to come, there'll be more :
A CD and possibly DVD (at least a video broadcast) of their recent production of Messager's delightful "P'tites Michu", a DVD of the production of Hervé's Mamzelle Nitouche, which will be touring France this season.
Then 2 Offenbach productions :: Maitre Peronilla (concert version), and Madame Favart (staged at the Opera-Comique).
Another great project I'm not sure whether PBZ is involved with : a CD recording of Massenet's Don Cesar de Bazan with a great cast led by Laurent Naouri...

Mark Thomas

Couldn't agree more, both with Alan's praise of the opera and Ebubu's appreciation of Pallazetto Bru Zane!

I've now removed BerlinExpat's recording of the radio broadcast form our Downloads Board.