Anton Rubinstein's sacred opera Moses Op112

Started by Martin Eastick, Thursday 22 February 2018, 13:02

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

These were just my thoughts before starting my yesterday's listening, Alan, but I am convinced now of the expanded version.

jimsemadeni

Agree, Adriano, heard the "Ocean" symphony in my distant youth as first contact with Rubenstein and have never stopped loving it. On other things, I too want to like his other music, some of it is not so easy for me.

adriano

I am pleased to hear this, jimsemadeni :-)
I actually also like his concertante works for piano, and, as already mentioned in earlier postings, "The Demon".
Just in case you don't know: In his ballet "La Pentola magica" (a real Russian pastiche), Respighi re-orchestrated Rubinstein's "Dance of the Tartar Archers" from the latter opera's ballet music - and it was a real joy for me to conduct this, after also the orchestra adored it.

Alan Howe

I don't think there's any doubt that Rubinstein 2 in its final, seven-movement form is a fine work. It has melodies galore and Gunzenhauser's performance is very good indeed and the excellent SlovakPO play very well for him. Thanks, Adriano, for encouraging me to give it another listen!

gene schiller

You've come up with the perfect description of Rubinstein's music in general, and why I find it so appealing.....melodies galore!!

adriano

Thanks, Alan; let's hope other members in here are going to re-listen and judge this work too :-)

Alan Howe

JimL

I wouldn't do without his 2nd Cello Concerto. It is beyond doubt the most original of the works, in conception, that he ever labeled a "concerto", and brimming with melody from start to finish. It is of interest to note that the next opus number after Moses is the Piano Konzertstück, another fine work.

Alan Howe

We have deliberately allowed this thread to broaden because the question of Rubinstein's capacity to compose at length is at issue here. So, yes, we need to return to Moses, but let's not neglect the broader question...

Alan Howe

Thanks, John. I greatly appreciate your contribution here - especially as I'm a Rubinstein sceptic!

FBerwald

Also, and I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, Rubinstein's Violin Concerto is another example of how wonderfully he created compact and melodically interesting compositions. It's a sadly neglected concerto but it doesn't overstay it's welcome and there's a general sunniness that makes the listener smile throughout. I also agree with JimL with regard to the 2nd Cello Concerto - another work that I adore.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The VC is a lovely, heart-warming work - and actually quite serious for a lot of the time. I wonder whether the challenge of writing for the violin actually brought out the best in Rubinstein? I'd say it was his most underrated major piece.

adriano

Just in case: the libretto of "Moses" can be downloaded from here (the link is not indicated in detail in the CD booklet, they only placed a QR code sticker on the box back):

http://moses.warnermusicpoland.com.pl/libretto.pdf?

It's a 32-page affair, but in three languages: Polish, English and German (original)

Peu à peu I am listening to it... It contains a lot of excellent music, but, really, it's just too much of it - and too long (3hrs 18 min). Some dramatic passages with chorus are impressive, some arias very beautiful indeed. One should consider this re-discovery as valuable.

Max Bruch's "Moses" is quite a bore in comparison, but it goes only for 115 minutes :-)

Alan Howe

I'm warming to Moses as CD3 progresses. Much high drama and expressive writing.