Hyperion RPC vol.76 Scholz & Rheinberger

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 26 February 2018, 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Reposted here as I think this release deserves a thread of its own:

From Simon Callaghan's website: "I am very pleased to announce that my recording of concertos by Bernhard Scholz and Josef Rheinberger will be released as Volume 76 of Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concerto Series on June 29th 2018. More information here:
https://www.simoncallaghan.com/news/a-date-for-the-diary/kDcyG4FfG8Tr4D6LS

cheers,
Daniel

Alan Howe

Revilod

This is an exciting release. Rheinberger's concerto is a fine piece and could do with a first-rate new recording.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Ah, just in time for my birthday. How providential!

Alan Howe

...and sounding extreeeeeeeemely enticing!

FBerwald

Mark Thomas

Unfortunately my first post back at UC after a few weeks' absence abroad is a negative one. I looked forward to hearing the Scholz works with much anticipation, so it's particularly galling to find myself underwhelmed by his Piano Concerto. To be sure, the slow movement is as prettily charming as the sound clips suggested it would be, but I don't detect any real depth to the music. The same is true of the outer movements, but with the added disappointment of them being based on rather trite thematic material which Scholz repeats way too often. Throughout the work there are few harmonic surprises and little dynamic or emotional contrast. The piece is undeniably easy on the ear, but I was expecting something more from this intimate of Brahms and Joachim, and successor to Raff as head of the Frankfurt Conservatory, than a piece of watered-down Schumannesque easy-listening.

I haven't listed yet to Scholz's Capriccio, but I'm not now expecting much from it. Luckily Rheinberger's magnificent Concerto will be, I'm sure, a much more satisfying listen.

Alan Howe

Actually, from the recent BBC Radio 3 broadcast of the Rheinberger, I'm expecting the recording of that marvellous piece to be distinctly underwhelming as well. Compare the wonderful Adrian Ruiz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xW-yxLsoOI
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concerto-Piano-2-Sgambati/dp/B000005WWM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530550194&sr=8-2&keywords=rheinberger+piano+concerto
The orchestra on the Hyperion will be superior, though...

Gareth Vaughan

I think perhaps you expected too much of Scholz. I find it a very attractive piano concerto, full of melody and beautifully scored, but one which makes no attempt to plumb any depths. But then (a) I wasn't expecting it to, and (b) I love Herz - so perhaps there is no hope for me.

Mark Thomas

Yes, I'm sure you're right, Gareth. Still, hope (sometimes) springs eternal.
QuoteI'm expecting the recording of that marvellous piece to be distinctly underwhelming as well
The Rheinberger as well? Heigh ho. But, you're right, Alan, Ruiz' performance is the benchmark (as his is, for me, of Rubinstein's Fifth).

Alan Howe

The orchestral support will be better on Hyperion, but I just have the feeling that these two works needed more dynamic treatment from all concerned. Of course, my copy's on order!

eschiss1

maybe Scholz will be more interesting in his chamber music (his quartet and sonatas - those that are posted at IMSLP, anyway; he seems to have composed quite a few cello sonatas - look intriguing to me.)

Alan Howe

Quotemaybe Scholz will be more interesting in his chamber music

This is often the case. Think of Fuchs, for example; or Kiel, etc.